Elka-X - Cherry Audio

Well I got it right, I’m sure as many others did ,-)

Let’s go…Volume to 11… or X

5 Likes

Have you bought it and tried it yet?
I just read a review of it and they were loving the sound… tempting… again. :grimacing:

1 Like

Nice.
I messed around with the Superwave plug-ins recently, for some straight forward two-oscillator analog-like pads, and super saw tooth sounds LFO PWM mod sounds. Without all the overhead of let’s say, Omnisphere.

So this one looks clear, slick and stright-forward, too. Will try.

yep, yep…playing since I made the post.
Big sounding, a preset with 16 voices uh, la, la, - overall very “detailed”

• sequencer is fun to have and play with.
4 Likes

Whoa, instant love!
Nicely crafted presets. Good starting points for own tweaks.
Check out the dual mode, lots of fun!

One thing to do IMHO: Turn off the limiter which is preset active on all patches.

2 Likes

And I love the manual:

"It (Elka Synthex) was used extensively by … French synthesizer legend, Jean-Michel Jarre, who used it as the primary sound source for his famed “laser harp,” which looks even less cool to play than a keytar. " :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Purchased and installed. Both tasks quick and painless. Wasn’t charged VAT! Here goes my morning…and late afternoon (after the 12h00 (in France) Aussie Rugby League match).

One thing I like already is that the standalone version figured out my display settings (200% on a 4K display) and opened as large as possible. Lovely GUI. And it’s nice that it’s a 61-key synth, so I don’t have to do any mapping on my NI S61.

Here’s the 23 minute Part 1 intro video. Parts 2 and 3 coming.

3 Likes

Really liked what I heard, so…just ordered and will be downloading shortly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s a really interesting 30 minute interview with Dan Goldstein, head of Cherry Audio, where he discusses the development of the Elka-X virtual instrument and other interesting tidbits from his extensive hardware synth collection. Well worth a listen.

4 Likes

I also bought it yesterday and played a bit… this plugin really sounds very good! And i am pleasently surprised by the variety of different sounds it offers. I have to find some more time to play through all of the presets… :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I went through the presets and randomly tweaked some just for fún…I echo év’rything you’ve said. :+1:

I will add that even on my 2011 MBP I was able to play sounds where GP4’s CPU usage indicated as high as 80%! All other plugins begin to snap, crackle, and pop nastily at 45%. So, Elka-X’s code appears to be quite solid. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

I just bought it and it is awesome. I added two presets in my current GigFile, because they convinced me. I hope it works in our next band rehearsal, that is the real test.

2 Likes

A real test. Let us know how it worked out.

I also enjoyed the conversation about the Jupiter-4 in the video I posted. I like the Elka-X enough that I will probably pick up their Mercury-4 VI of the Jupiter-4.

Do they update their synth collection regularly?

I was thinking of that for black friday 2022 as I need one of their synths.

I agree, this synth does sound awesome, but has anyone else had issues with the cpu load? It is very high, pinging up to 75% whereas most of my other plugins are much lower. I did get some cracking and popping. Not sure if this one is good for my setup.

You are right, the cpu load is high, in my rackspace with Hammond B-3X between 32% and 48%. But I have no cracking and popping (MacBook Pro M1 Max, 64 GB).

Which setting are you using for oversampling?
Quality button (Q) left of help (?).

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t knew this button, I have used “1” normal, with “4” highest I have 62% to 75% and cracking.