DX Lovers Here's A Kontakt Instrument You Might Like

Part of my collection of plugins, I also use some sampled instruments. One being DX Dreams and DX Dreams II from Jim Daneker. He spent countless hours sampling multiple DX7’s. Check it out.

For users who simply want to reproduce DX7 sounds without getting into the manipulation of the instrument, this can be useful.
However, as an avid DX7 lover (I got my first DX7 in 1983), I would suggest using a VSTi rather than a sound bank.
The most accomplished VSTi, identical to the hardware, is DEXED, and I recommend it for various reasons:

• 32 GB for DX DREAMS with a limited number of sound possibilities, 20 MB (not GB) for Dexed and its 4000 banks of 32 sounds.

• 8 instances of DX7 use only a few % more cpu resources than 8 instances of DX DREAMS.

• DX DREAMS requires an authorized and working copy of Kontakt Full - will not run in the free Kontakt. Player. It can be used on only ONE computer at a time.
    DEXED is an Open Source plugin, free, no account needed, direct download, it can be used on several computers at the same time.

Other DEXED interests:

DEXED has 144 automatable parameters available.
Each operator have a realtime VU meter to know which one is active.
It fully supports DX7 input and output Sysex messages including controller change.
Can load/save any DX7/TX7 sysex programs. It is also possible to save a single program into a different sysex file.
Aftertouch modulation and MPE support.

Dexed can be configured to use some of the original math limitation of a DX synthesizer. This does not only apply to the DAC, it also involves the bit resolution of the sine waves and the way that the amplitude is applied to each operator.
It comes with 3 engine types :
Modern : this is the original 24-bit music-synthesizer-for-android implementation.
Mark I : Based on the OPL Series but at a higher resolution (LUT are 10-bits). The target of this engine is to be closest to the real DX7.
OPL Series : this is an experimental implementation of the reversed engineered OPL family chips. 8-bit.

It would be a pity not to take advantage of it. :wink:

4 Likes