Direct input of my guitar heard alone with Plugin

When you bypass a plugin then the dry signal comes through, that is normal behavior.

I see I just read the manual as to that. So that part was my miss understanding of how it worked. Then my guess is a low gain plug in is really just turning off the FX and at some point just letting the dry guitar signal of the guitar be heard.

Thank you all for your help.

fvf

What is a low gain plug?

A plugin that offers a clean sound without overdrive or distortion as its primary sound is a low gain plug. In real amps like a Roland J120 it designed for a jazz pure tone but a amp that uses multi stages of preamp tubes like a Diezal amp is designed to overdrive commonly called hi gain amps.

thanks
fvf

For my understanding: All your problems are solved now?

Yes, I believe what I thought was a bug/ problem is by design and a misunderstanding of the Bypass use on each plugin.

I would like a mute added alongside the Bypass or a modifier to the Bypass with shift click that would make the Bypass a Mute.

Thank all you you that responded to my cry for help.
fvf

Just use the Gain Plugin, more flexibility

2 Likes

Bypass (in pretty much every DAW as well as in live performances hosts like Gig Performer) means to bypass whatever changes the plugin effect makes to its input and just allows the original signal to pass through unchanged.

Muting is always done with a separate mechanism. In a traditional DAW or host that uses channel strips, it is the channel strip that contains the plugin that is responsible for muting. In GP this is done by routing the output of the plugin to a gain/balance plugin or an audio mixer plugin, as @pianopaul explained.

I use S-Gear all the time and have never experienced this (MacOS / VST3).
I opened your Gig file and also had no direct sound being mixed in (I had to change the wiring for the interface input/output to match my interface).

What the OP is talking about is not normal behavior. I believe that the answers that were given were not understanding the problem. I have the same thing happen. The problem is not the dry signal being heard when you bypass, the problem is still hearing the dry signal when the plugin is used. Read back to his original post and it clearly said that he is getting a mix of the affected signal and the dry signal at the same time. I have this same problem. Before trying GigPerformer I tried two other similar software, Cantabile and Element. This problem did not occur in either of those, so it is not normal behavior. I am using an MOTU M4 interface and have never had this problem before. Both the driver and the firmware are up to date. I have not purchased Gigperformer because of this problem. I would love to find an answer to the problem so I can go ahead and purchase.

Hi @SuperSwide ,

welcome to the forum.

One of my Bandmembers plays Bass via Gig Performer.
He uses some Ampeg Bass Plugins from Plugin Alliance and he does not face the issue.

Can you upload a rackspace showing the issue, so I could check?

Hi @SuperSwide. Gig Performer is not doing anything different/special in regards to interfaces. It is completely controlled by what you virtually route in the Wiring view: from the interface input, through the plugin, to the interface output.

A screenshot of your wiring view would be helpful, and as @pianopaul mentioned, even a copy of a gig file could help someone here investigate.

There’s also chance that some guitarists on this forum use an M4, who could provide some advice.

Thank you for your response. I figured out the problem and it was indeed user error. When you asked for a screenshot, I went back in and immediately saw the problem. In my setup I was using the Neural DSP Archtype: Petrucci and also the Archetype: Rabea. I had one of them bypassed while I work on the tone of the other. So what was happening was as I was programming a preset for the Patrucci, I was hearing the bypassed signal of the Rabea. I removed the second amp and the problem was gone. This was the exact same type setup I used in Element and Cantabile and they don’t have a dry signal when bypassed so I never encountered the same problem when testing those out. That’s why I though it was a glitch in Gig Performer. Thanks for the help.

3 Likes

It’s important to know that in Gig Performer bypassing a plugin doesn’t mute the sound but only let the signal pass unchanged! If you want to actually mute an audio signal, you’d best use a gain-block.

3 Likes

That should really be the case with any host when it comes to effects plugins.

“Bypass” means “to go around” or “to avoid”……it does not mean to “block”

Just like a car takes a different road to avoid an accident on the main road, conceptually audio goes around the plugin instead of through it.

2 Likes

I guess now we will count you as a GP user? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::+1:

3 Likes

Yes, already purchased. :smiley:

6 Likes

Probably the best decision you’ve made in recent times. :wink: :+1:

2 Likes