Different versions of the same plugin

When analyzing my current gigfile I realized that I am using, in different rackspaces, different versions of the same plugin. Specifically, I am using KONTAKT 6.5.2 (AU) in certain rackspaces and in others I am using KONTAKT 6.7.1 (VST3).
Since I’m working on a Mac system, should I replace the vst3 plugins with AU, or should I do the opposite, since vst3 is from a newer version of kontakt?

I prefer to use VST over AU whenever possible.

One reason is because (I believe) VST plugins are tested in more hosts than are AUs, the latter really only relevant for Apple’s own product (Logic, Garageband, MS). So everyone HAS to provide their plugins in AU format but most likely only test them with Apple hosts. VST plugins get tested on a much wider selection of hosts so are more likely to be reliable.

That said, watch out for Kontakt 7 — apparently it is quite buggy in general. I am personally staying with Kontakt 6

Just my two dents.

2 Likes

I also prefer the VST version.

I only use AU if there is a problem with VST or if I can’t install the VST.

An other important topic for me: With VST I’m more compatible to windows systems.

1 Like

One thing I noticed recently was that after adding the Sampletank 4 vst to my global backspace for my drummer’s drum triggers, my cpu utilisation rose to about 20% at idle. Changing that to AU halved that.

In practice there may be implementation differences and one format can work better than another in terms of stability, performance or even features.

Lots of examples are across the community forum, this is one of them: Gig Performer | Gig Performer and JamOrigin's MIDI Guitar 2 plugin

Avoid using different formats of the same plugin in the complete gig file.

2 Likes