Devs please add FOLDERS to RACKSPACES :)

Hey, been using GigPerformer for a while, it is an important tool for me and I keep recommending it as well but I have one major request for a feature which is yet so small and easy to add. There have been talks about this in a previous idea but I only got workarounds which just don’t work for this.

I want to have folders I can expand/close my rackspaces with. Like folder 1 DRUMS contains all rackspaces for drums, folder 2 KEYS all for keys etc. - as you see in the picture the solution now is one empty rackspace to divide them but this is tough with 100+ rackspaces. SONGMODE does not work for this because the way SONGMODE aligns items on horizontal instead of vertical makes it limited and these tabs are too big.

So please just add the little feature which comes in handy for everyone and also allow COLOR GRADING of the rackspaces/folders on the left side, so for example I can color all drum rackspaces in red, this would be another big bonus for the overview of these.

This would be a gamechanger for me, I can only ask for it though here - hope it is something which is considered

Hi @draguny, you illustrated your need with single instrument rackspaces and your « folder » classification is done based on single instrument groups. Do you always work with single instrument rackspaces, elsewhere how would you use this feature when thinking of multiples instruments-fx rackspaces? Did you try to see if building setlist would work for you? I mean one of your « folder » could be a song and in the song you would find the instruments as setlist parts?
Well I would like to understand how you work to understand why this group Of rackspace organisation would work better for you. :wink:

David thank you for the answer, the issue with songs/setlist (I heard the suggestion before) is that these buttons take more space and they are aligned differently (not top to bottom) - means that if I have 10+ folders which I likely have I prefer to have them on the left side where the rackspaces are, as these columns are relatively small and it would be just great to expand/close space there which would be done with having the options to instead of a rackspace, just add a rackspace-folder, you feeling? :smiley: (+ the color options which I think also wouldnt exist for the setlist thing either)

See right now in Gigperformer and DAWs for the live looping stuff I do I just have a loooooot of vst instruments :smiley: I literally use close to max of my 64gb RAM and I can run it with performance but I want to organize in a way where I can see all the folders on one sight and this becomes odd with using the setlist in gigperformer instead of having it on the left side as small little folders :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry for all the questions :blush:

Are the folders only used while building/editing? You weren’t planning on navigating the folders while performing?

If you use a midi controller, should the folder of the selected rackspace open automatically? Should it then close again if you move to a rackspace in another folder, or stay open?

Could the use of only a colour indicator be a good compromise? So this could give you a quick visual indication of the different rackspace groupings.

Thanks rank13, I appreciate it a lot.

1.) no it’s actually needed for performance even more. I can navigate way faster if I can open folders and close, like open drum-folder, select one, close, get to keys folder, select one. Right now I have to scroll a lot to even get to the keys.

2.) with a controller if I go to “NEXT/PREVIOUS rackspace” at the end of a folder (or beginning on previous) yes would be good to close that folder and open the next/previous automatically to have that covered. Good point and important to think about

3.) Colors are an advantage for sure and help. But it would still make a lot of scrolling and stuff so I’d like colors AND folders pleaseeee <3

In the short term, have you thought about using an OSC app to create a custom rackspace navigator?

A few I know have a tabbed/page control, where you define a tab for drums, keys etc. So, hit the tab you want and then the rackspace.

hm sure that’s interesting but a) need an ios/android device right? would prefer to just use my mouse honestly since a laptop is part of the whole setup. b) I don’t know how to make that at all

I’l look into this but hopefully it is possible to get this feature, are you one of the devs of Gig performer or just forum mod?

Not a dev, just a regular.
Touch OSC and Open Stage Control can run on the laptop alongside GP.