Controlling instruments in global rackspace

I am trying to setup some songs with the same piano sound/plugin but with different keyranges, splits and octavetransposition for each song. It seems i have to load a new instance of the piano plugin for each song? Is there a way to use one plugin in the Global rackspace and control the keyrange, transposition and so on from the local rack space? Maybe kind of an “alias” like in mainstage. Happy playing.

That is possible, but why do you need that?

When performing i might have 20 songs. In 15 of them i would use a heavy Kontakt piano. (Native Instruments Noire) and maybe in 8 of those i would also use Acoustic Samples B-5.

In one of the 15 songs i need a Clavinet from middle C down. From middle C up til C2 i need a piano, but transposed an octave down. From C2 up i need a Synth Brasspad.

In another i might need another spread/splits/ of sounds, same piano and organ, and so on.

If i were to load 20 instances of Native Instruments Noire, 8 instances of Acoustic Samples B-5, and maybe even other heavy plugs - it would kill the system.

Bets regards

Hi and welcome to the GP forums! :beers:

I saw the question on Facebook and propoesd to better ask the question here… well done!
My answer on Facebok was:

BTW: The use of the Global Parameters is well documented her
How to control widgets from the Global rackspace in a regular rackspace? (gigperformer.com)

1 Like

It is a rather extensive operation i guess.

As an example, each key-range would need to widget buttons to define upper/lower range. If one song needs 3 splits i need 6 buttons. If one of the sounds would need to be transposed I would need a button for that to.

The buttons need to be in both the Local rackspace and the Global Rackspace.
Two buttons in the global rackspace for every keyrange in the entire setlist. That ads up to maybe 25 songs times 2 zones. That is 100 keyzone buttons in the Global Rack space.

This is for only setting the keyranges.

No… things work very diffrently to what you obviously think they would!
Two knob widgets for upper/lower splitpoint. In the global and the local rackspace.
That’d be all to cover any split combination of one keyboard!

1 Like

I would “think” put the piano in the Global Rackspace. Then have different regular Rackspaces using different midi in blocks with different splits (use MIDI OSC from the local rackspaces to the global rackspace). That way you don’t have to load the piano multiple times.

If I am missing something, let me know. I have not not done this myself.

Jeff

Ok… i just made a very basic rackspace combination (global/local) with flexible keyboard splitting and transpose, which shows how to use widgets and global parameters to use rackspace variations for controlling both, the local plugin as well as the global plugin regarding keyboard splitting and transposition.

I used the piano and organ plugins from LostIn70s so that everything should work out of the box for anyone.

So according to the demands, i put the piano in the Global Rackspace (so it’s gonna be loaded only once), then i connected the min/max note of the global MIDI-IN block with Global Parameters #1 and #2 and the Transpose value with Global Parameter #3 to make them available for local rackspaces.
The audio from the local rackspaces comes via the “From Local” block which then goes into 8ch mixer to adjust the volumes (you could use global parameters for these as well)

In the local rackspace there needs to be a “To Global Rackspace” block which not only sends the audio from local to global but also makes the global parameters available locally!
Then i used 3(!) knobs for the global splittpoints and transpose (connected to the respecting global parameters) and the same number of knobs (plus an additional “Gain to global” volume) for the local sound source.

Now all the settings can be done from the local rackspace via variations (i made some examples for diffrent setups).
Of course every other local rackspace can access the gloabal parameters via the same mechanics - one could also use the local rackspace as a template to build new ones with other plugins to be combinated with the global sound sourc(es) - of course there could also be multiple plugins in the global rackspace (maybe you’d had to take care then for bypassing, midi filtering etc…)

Global-Local combination with split.gig (241.4 KB)

…hope this helps to better see how things work. :nerd_face:

3 Likes