Hi folks. After you wonderful people helped me sort my cpu issues out on my new (to me) backup laptop I’ve come across another small problem. As it’s a backup machine I need to be able to keep transferring updated Gig files to the backup whenever I add a rackspace/ mix adjustment etc. on the main machine. Gig performer loaded fine as did the GP file in all respects except the controllers. I use two Arturia keylab essential controllers. The laptop and GP can see the controllers but the settings haven’t transferred so I’m having to change the midi input device on every plugin and it’s also lost all of the maps for various faders and buttons. The port layout of the two laptops is slightly different but I’m not sure that’s the issue as GP can see both controllers. Any ideas?
I think the Rig Manager was made exactly for this. There are some videos on YouTube that will help you get up to speed.
I think I might not be using it correctly. I exported the rig file from laptop 1 and loaded it into laptop 2 but there wasn’t any difference. I’ll have a deep dive into the guide and see what’s what. I’m mainly confused because GP is showing the controllers but has junked the settings. I’ve probably missing some. Thanks for responding
My mistake. I didn’t use the export all options option so I’ll try that and hopefully it’ll do the trick. That’ll teach me to read the manual….
Still no luck. All I want to do is transfer one gig file from one laptop to the other. All the controllers are the same as is the audio interface. I literally want to be able to simply swap out the laptop if there’s an issue. I’m sure I’m missing something.
I have the same set up (though different controllers than you).
I have the same setup.as you.
If they were different controller keyboards I think you would swap ou the controllers in rig manager.
But in my case (like yours) my keyboards exactly the same.
Maybe its something really obvious. Could you double check you are opening up the updated Gig File on the 2nd laptop?
I’m saving and transferring each time so it’s the most up to date.
Maybe do a “save as” with a new name, transfer it, and make sure you are opening up that new gig file (?)
What exactly is not working - please be more precise. Can’t really diagnose without information.
Are MIDI events being received at all? (Can you see the MIDI light flash on the top right of the main window as you play?) What does the Global MIDI Monitor display when you press keys? Please paste screen shots of the Global MIDI Monitor for both systems after pressing a single key and releasing it on each system
Also, please show a screen shot of the wiring view from both systems for one rackspace that is not working on one of your systems.
Also, please show a screen shot showing the Audio Interface options, again for both machines
I’ll try that
Will do. I’m away from the rig now until tomorrow evening here in the uk so I’ll do all that tomorrow and post it.
The main kids in at the top right of the screen is showing input but it doesn’t translate into the rackspaces and each of the midi in blocks has to be updated to the controllers. When I first installed GP on my backup laptop I started it off without the controllers connected, just the audio interface, and I booted up my main GP file to make sure it was compatible. I have a feeling that was a mistake. Maybe uninstalling and reinstalling with everything connected will help?
That should say midi in (predictive text)
How many keyboards do use at a time?
If you have two keyboards in your rig, it is not uncommon in my case they get swapped.
If so, you can swap them back in Rig Manager (or I sometimes just restart each controller in “proper” order or reconnect them to the use in the “proper” order)
FYI: DHJ is the head honcho/GP Developer. I’m just an average (at best) user. So, you know who to give more credence to.
No need to uninstall. Please don’t change anything until you can post the screenshots we requested. Otherwise you’re just guessing!
The first three photos are the main laptop which is working perfectly. The second three are from the backup laptop.
David might ask for something else, but I’d like to see the midi channel in Global Midi Monitor (expand the window)
Also, how many controllers do you use in each rig?





