Control master volume with a bluetooth pedal

Sorry, I was on the woodway (German speaking :wink: )
I think you should contavct GigPerformer Support via a Ticket.

Will they not read this post? Thanks for your help anyway.

That is a user forum, sure the read when they have time.
In such a case it is better to contact support.

There are no current plans to provide explicit Bluetooth MIDI support. We are aware of this issue but haven’t had time to look at it. From our perspective, it’s unclear why it’s up to applications to explicitly support this. The whole point of an operating system is so that applications shouldn’t have to do this kind of thing explicitly. (Imagine if every application had to provide its own support for every MIDI device, every hard drive, every printer, every graphics card)

If you get a new piece of hardware, it’s supposed to come with the appropriate device drivers to integrate it into the OS. I don’t know at this time why this is not being done for Bluetooth.

Hi Al,
just to be nosy… what kind of pedal is this? (brand & model) :upside_down_face:

Hi Erik. Nice to hear from you. The pedal is an Airturn Stomp 6.
It has 6 buttons that are programable. My goal is to go as wireless as possible. What I really want I’m not sure exists as I can’t find one on the net. It is a wireless stereo volume pedal with a USB dongle that plugs into the pc to handle volume before it leaves the pc itself. Next best thing I thought would be the Stomp 6 which I’ve had for a while. I would midi learn it to a gain control with one button to lower and one button to raise volume. Btw Strike going very well for me thanks due to the great help you gave me initially.

I think that AirTurn stuff is by default sending keystrokes. Maybe an application that converts keystrokes to MIDI would actually do the job for you. Can’t recommend one from the top of my head, but there must be something like that out there.

Maybe take a look at the Keith McMillen Softstep - it’s not wireless but it comes with a real long USB and you can do all sorts of things with it

Obligatory for the feet?
A Wii remote + OSculator can do wonders :wink: I have the Wii remote buttons mapped to GP using OSC; easily control next/previous rackspace, play/stop, Tap tempo, not sure if It’s X Y Z position could be mapped to master volume via OSC? @dhj opinion here please…

Bigalminal,
First, your ArirTurn Stomp 6 is not a MIDI device per se. Basically it is a foot mouse. For MIDI, there is the iRig BlueBoard by IK Multimedia. There are some others, I think. Unfortunately it doesn’t come with a Windows driver and you have to use a bridge program like MIDIBerry (Windows app store), or use the only Bluetooth MIDI receiver called WIDI Bud. The Korg Micro Key Bluetooth series come with a Windows driver, which works very well.

I noticed that you have MIDI Translator. I suppose you can use it to translate keystrokes though I’d think that you need to be able to use an expression/volume pedal which the Airturn doesn’t support. If you have their hardware version Bomebox, now it supports wireless(perhaps Bluetooth, too) keyboards/mouse.

I am the person that raised the question back in January about GP supporting Bluetooth MIDI in Windows. I can’t blame David for having no current plans for Bluetooth MIDI support. Moreover, I agree with him that the OS itself should incorporate full support for Bluetooth MIDI without having software developers do more work. Well, Windows 10 does sort of, but by solving a problem, they created another program; now the application has to support a new protocol… Even as a Windows man and someone with built-in bias against Apple in general, I agree that there is no question that Mac has a better environment for audio and midi. (I use iPads for music, and I have a MacBook Pro with Mainstage, but I don’t use it). However, Windows is not bad at all, and there is always a solution with it. I am just happy that GP runs so smoothly in Windows 10. A person can make a lot of music even on a low priced PC running programs like GP.

1 Like

I just bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011DSI1MQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Costly. Ouch!

I thought you wanted wireless. A $49 MIDI Expression combined with a volume/expression pedal you might already have will do the trick. https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

Those things work great. I have a green, yellow and blue one of those in my rig. However, lately I have been using the new Nektar Pacer with just a single expression pedal. It’s a bit heavy, specially when touring but it works very well. I was using a Keith McMillen Softstep before that but the downside of that one is that if you can’t see it (it was under my keyboards) it’s just too easy to hit the wrong pedal

I did want wireless. I’ve put in a cancellation order. Pity I didn’t see your suggestion earlier.

Olive, are the ones you referenced wireless? Do they use the local network, as I couldn’t see a dongle receiver any where.

If you are going for a wireless setup, you will need something like the iRig BlueBoard or the BT4 Bluetooth MIDI Pedalboard. Then you need a Bluetooth MIDI receiver - WIDI Bud for your Windows.

I have a Softstep 2 and, in theory, love it. But it’s quite a bit of programming for someone like me who isn’t too fond of programming. So I really haven’t dug into it.

I just received my Audio Front usb interface to use with an existing volume pedal. It works fine, but here’s the thing. I will have to now go over each rackspace/song (all 240 of them) and add in a master gain control at the end of the line. Once I map the master gain to the pedal to control the overall volume, is there any way to insert that master gain control into the 240 rackspaces by copying? Otherwise I’ll have to map/midi learn the pedal 240 times! Big job!

Hmmm… several things come to mind…

1. Not sure what your “master gain” is, but there is a master trim control in GP which can be assigned a single, global control

2. If you used the Rig Manager all you’d have to do is go into it and simply change your device there with one step and all of the rackspaces would work. If you did not use the rig manager - you will have to do it manually, but take this opportunity to define a device/control in the rig manager and do it that way. At least you will not have to “learn” each one - you can select it from the drop down list

The “master gain” is simply a renamed Gain And Balance Control inserted just before the the audio out. But if there is a simpler way then I’d really like to know it.

• What is the master trim control please?
  • Seems I really need to use the Rig Manager but it remains a mystery to
    me. Where do I read up on how to use it please?
    I’m in the process of building a new computer so need to get on top of this once and for all.