Control Gig Performer Mixer using Stream Deck Mackie MCU Protocol

Hi everyone, currently investigating Gig Performer, with 4-days of trial remaining. Everyone working as expected, but looking to improve my understanding of 1x item below:

GP setup to input and mix external synth audio alongside some Kontakt instruments. The external synth audio comes in via an RME Digiface USB. I’m using a GP 16-channel mixer plugin, with outputs to the audio output, with another mixer bussed for internal FX Plugins. All working well.

I’m controlling the instrument levels with an Elgato Stream Deck XL on the piano. It’s great having something so simple taking up little space and next to my playing fingers.

I’m using the Stream Deck Midi plugin which also provides Mackie MCU functionality. Great in this provides 2-way sync and display of 8 input faders. (also works well with RME Totalmix using Mackie)

In GP, I’ve got round the 2-way Midi Sync issue (Stream Deck Mackie syncs messages using midi device “Mackie2Daw” receiving on “Daw2Mackie”) using Rig Manager. Faders now keep in sync between Stream Deck use and operating GP widgets. Perhaps the midi sync function could have the option to specify returning midi device in the future?

Mackie MCU works in banks of 8. To control the next bank of 8 inputs you normally use the Mackie Bank < > keys. This works well on RME Totalmix, and I can navigate around all the fader banks with the Stream Deck.

Is there a way to use the Mackie MCU Bank < > controls within the GP 16-Channel Mixer plugin?

Any ideas appreciated, as I would like to know the extent of GP before the end of the trial. Thanks!

What do you want to control?

Volume on channels 9-16 using the Stream Deck (Mackie bank change on 8 faders)

Are you using widgets to control the mixer volumes?
Are the widgets MIDI mapped to your Stream Deck?

Yes, they are midi mapped widgets currently.

The Learn function picked them up as Mackie2Daw, Pitch Wheel, Channel x (1-8).

I could imagine the Gig Performer Mixing Desk plugins having the Mackie functionality as an option box. Working up to 4 banks of 8, for the 32-channel mixer.

I have read that Mackie is not a development priority, and a little far-reaching for stage use? Perhaps the Elgato Stream Deck makes it more accessible with the functionality “ready to go” in the midi plugin. I still love real buttons to touch screens, so a good solution to have.

Ok, what do you see in the Global MIDI Monitor when you switch the bank?

I’m always reminded of the line from Deep Purple singer Ian Gillian who once said at a sound check,
“Turn everything louder than everything else”

The right way to add Mackie support will most likely be through a third party extension using the new SDK that is now available for Gig Performer.

2 Likes

Bank Leftmost: (Mackie2Daw)
Note on A#1 (46) Velocity 127, Channel 1
Note off A#1 (46) Velocity 0, Channel 1

Bank Right: A>B, B>C, C>D
(Mackie2Daw)
Note on B1 (47) Velocity 127, Channel 1
Note off B1 (47) Velocity 0, Channel 1
(Daw2Mackie)
Note off A1 (45) Velocity 0, Channel 1
F0 00 00 66 14 12 32 49 6E 2F 31 37 F7

Bank Left: D>C
(Mackie2Daw)
(Daw2Mackie)
Note off A1 (45) Velocity 0, Channel 1
F0 00 00 66 14 12 32 49 6E 2F 30 37 F7

Bank Left: C>B, B>A
(Mackie2Daw)

So you mapped 8 widgets to the gp Audio mixer, right?
Do they still work, when you switch the bank on the Mackie?

So you mapped 8 widgets to the gp Audio mixer, right? Correct, yes.

Do they still work, when you switch the bank on the Mackie? Yes, they do. The Mackie appears to issue the same fader movement messages (pitch-wheel) on channels 1-8, irrespective of bank.

Ok, so I think a Script could help.
The idea is to use a Script which Checks against a Bank change and Control the Mixer Volumes

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I shall have a look at Gig Performer scripting, as I have done some Arduino etc.

For assessing Gig Performer, I think I’m now at a good level where I can see the functionality and general workflow is a good fit. A few crashes, but mostly when making system changes (audio interfaces), and not in actual use. Very impressive so far, and look forward to making the purchase - just a decision on Win/Mac or just Win to start with…

Thanks very much for your help.

I would go Mac

Definitly, you can do a lot with GPScript (see this older link):

Details please

Hopefully both.

I’ve seen your YouTube video before. Really nice solution and controller. GPScript looks more than approachable, and there are some good examples to start with.

From memory:

3x when changing RME Digiface USB sample buffer through control panel and applying changes.
1x when learning midi command for widget with synch enabled.
2x other. Cannot remember details but when making changes.
No hangups in normal use, just these config changes.

Probably the reason why I don’t change the RME settings when they are set (with difficulties) :grimacing:

Probably a MIDI loop, because if the sync option.

The other source I know is related to plugin themselves.

1 Like