Click out as midi? Workarounds?

Hello, I need a midi signal to keep an external application (DMXControl) in sync. The speed master of DMXControl takes a midi-in as tap tempo, so I thought I would just feed the click as a midi signal via LoopBe to DMXControl. But I don’t think that’s possible, GP seems to provide the click signal only as audio. My next idea was to use a VST plugin for that. Just something that takes the BPM from the GP host session and has a click as an midi output. But that doesn’t seem easy to find.

Any suggestions how to solve this?

Is this configurable? Or a specific note or CC message?

You could create a midi track in a DAW, and then loop it in the Midi File Player. Then just route this to your interface output port.

Yes, I can freely map this via an input assignment in DMXControl. I’ve thought about just creating midi tracks but I’d much prefer using the internal time from GP. But I agree, this would be the ultimate workaround.

Actually, the System Actions block can generate a midi note message on the beat.

MidiBeat - controls whether MIDI Note messages should be sent out on beats.

•MidiBeatNoteNumber - sets the note number for regular beat.

•MidiBeatNoteVelocity - sets the velocity of the regular beat.

•MidiBeatAccentNoteNumber - sets the note number for the accent beat.

•MidiBeatAccentNoteVelocity - sets the note number for the accent beat.

If you add a button widget for the MidiBeat parameter, then knobs for the others, you can send out this note from System Actions and route it to your interface output block.

1 Like

Thanks for the hint, but I can’t get this to work. I put a System Actions node in the global rackspace and activated MidiBeat over a widget:

Then I connected the Midi Out to LoopBe with the output of the System Actions node in the global rackspace and added a midi monitor. When I start playback, no midi comes out of the system actions node.

Hmm. There’s another parameter called BeatMode. Add a switch for that and set to on, and see if you get any difference

1 Like

Yes, that was it! You have to set both MidiBeat and BeatMode to 1, then it works.

2 Likes

(Also remember to set both accent and regular beats to the same note AND velocity. Otherwise the learned mapping to the external tap tempo probably won’t work correctly.)