Chow Matrix / a Delay / Freeware / friendly on the CPU

I’ve just dabbled with it. I have several such things…AAS has one, there’s Voltage Modular, Softube has one. I’ve owned eurorack systems in the past but I don’t really find them that interesting for the kind of music I like to play

ahh look. ( i was deep into this )

attention, don´t necessarily look at it as a “Synthesizer”,
rather look at it as a “patchable” FX Box.
thats where some good uses lie. :wink:

So, i heard back from Jatin, the maker of the Chow plugins (freeware) :

he was open for a conversation, and immediately could imagine that the problem “could” lie on the chow matrix side. He says:
His delay plugin allows for adding “nodes” freely.
Each node is quasi another delay ( you can create delay trees / something i was not using )
So, adding a new node, would add also the full parameter set to the plugin on top of the given parameters.
This situation creates a specific uncommon situation vs. when the plugin is loaded from the DAW/Host at startup, since it would not report a set/finite number of parameters to the DAW/Host. He sees there a possible cause for the issue i experienced.
He says the chow matrix is not limited to a fixed set of maximum nodes.
He will think about it.
While i proposed to just create a simple derivate, with a very limited number of nodes.
Even just one node would do, in my specific usecase. It would still be a VERY great delay.
i really really love working with that delay. Even in just very simple configurations with just one node. well, then just loading several chow delay blocks in one row. (which gives perfect “bypass per widget” access)

1 Like

I don’t quite understand. I’m pretty sure we can handle extra parameters being added so that the total number can increase but adding new parameters should not change the mappings of existing widgets already mapped to lower numbered parameters.

But you can’t just remove parameters either.

he does not have GP (but is aware that it exists).
this was just a initial thought of him i guess. Based on his experiences with DAWs i´d figure.

To me it seems that the speed with which i move a fader/widget plays a role in the whole thing. I make extremly fast movements.
i will try to post a gig file sometime soon. ( i have right now health problems, i´ll see what i can do / not all racks are same prone to that failure / the more evolved ones, i can´t post)

If you’re in touch with him, have him reach out to us directly

1 Like

Ok, i have now a gig file (of this) to post, ( i case somebody is interested to have a look, or wants to check the funny morph controls :wink: )
first a screenshot of the widgets from Rack 1
the widget groups are “named” ( 1 and 2, each group has one dummy widget)
group two is for dry-wet control. Rack2 was a copy of same rack, plus added SND- Dry mix.
( instead of a common dry-Wet mix, is the wet contrrol replaced by a Send control / one of the tricks i came up in GP :wink: )
(The chow delay has per L-R chanel allways one own parameter)
so i control 33 widgets with just one HW control ( fader)

ok, gigfile upload seems has worked
Chow-DLY_2check4Forum_1-1.gig (2.4 MB)
plugins used: pianoteq piano ( K2 model)
Chow delay ( freeware ! )
reverb section: Fabfillter pro R and liquid sonics 7th heaven / just bypass or replace

I investigated this Gig saturday.
then, NO widget vs. the chow delay would ever make a problem. they ALLWAYS worked fine.
BUT: strangly enough, was my dry control of rack 2 allways failing after a short time ! (widget (group) 3)
i never got to bring this back to work, other than restart GP. Guess it was usually after a restart of the PC.
Right now, i gave it some more time, now would some Widgets vs. parameters of the chow delays fail, but NOT my dry control from my dry-DND crossfade ( widget (group) 3).
several parameters on several chow delays ( check: delay time, pan, feedback, dry wet level / in case anybody wants to look)
a fail vs. the delay time or the dry- and wet- level makes this patch for example unplayable.

( i would appreciate it if we do not have to discus if this patch even makes sense or not.
thats part of a series of patches.
this rack 1 was one of my initial racks. they all just had different widget values / thus dif. morph values / it started all just as an experiment, and i must say i quite liked it.

in fact these type of patches “are” playable, but you need to get used to it.
My later -good patches- in this developmend series are way more complicated with several crossfaders involved and can achive more, soundwise.
But the “spirit” remains. Call it “mickymouse-Piano” if you want it so.

For me, this patch in this gig was btw. great to understand some things that some granular FX are doing. each delay creates a own buffer.
so you do not just “shift” a big buffer, but many small ones ! similar to what BBDs have been.
the pitch shifting effect plus some smearing effect inclouded with that is here the key.
different buffer sizes (ddelay times) create different effects.
My morph controls incloudes cranking the feedback on 1-2 of the chow delays.

all my first tests with the chow delay, just using many “Delay Nodes” within one plugin block, failed, cause of losing the widget vs. parameter control.
point for me IS here the one knob morph controls.
( sorry for long wording / its just my enthusiasm :wink: )