Changing rackspaces remotely from within Ableton

Hi all,

New GP user here :slight_smile: I found out about Gig performer when searching for a “live” VST host to run on my VST computers. I went from hardware to a Danté networked software “in the boxes” setup with 1 DAW PC and 3 VST hosts. For me the 3 VST hosts are like “hardware racks” but with soft synths and not hardware ones.

Until now I used Ableton Live lite on my 3 VST hosts but switching the VST setups when changing track was not that easy, I found out that the rackspace solution in Gig performer fits my needs more.

Just one, maybe stupid, question. I found out how to go to a previous / next rackspace or song using midi controls but is there a way to add a specific midi note or CC to a rackspace so I can change directly to that rackspace? That way I can assign a trackspace to a song and add this note or CC at the start of a song in Ableton. That way, when I open / load and play a song the correct rackspace is also loaded on all 3 boxes :slight_smile:

This way I can link each song to the correct setup without having to worry they are in a correct order

Thnx for the feedback!!

Pics of my rig for attention :wink:

With pc messages you can directly select rackspaces

2 Likes

I recommended him initially this thread (on Facebook), but figured out that it is better to create a thread here, in the community forums, as I know that Ableton users will give him the best advice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What version of Ableton Live are you using?

Based on his pics, looks like Ableton Live 11 Standard. Possibly no Max4Live.

Yes, live 11 standard

I am using the same constellation as you, but I am using Ableton Live Suite.
This way I can remote. Patrol Ableton Live from Gig Performer.
Are you using session or arrangement view in Ableton?

It depends a bit :slight_smile:

On this moment i’m most of the time on session view since i’m trying out VST’s , sounds, melodies :slight_smile: When i get to “song” and “set” state i’ll be going to arrangement I presume :slight_smile:

So you load for each song a different Live set?

On this moment that is the case yes. That’s why GP is so more usable than my first live into solution :slight_smile: Now I just have to change rackspace in GP when changing to another song and not start to change Ableton projects on 3 machines :slight_smile:

Why not uses session view and when you switch a rackspace send a pc message to ableton to select the correct session?
Any chance to upgrade to suite.
This way you have a universe of possibilities with OSC messages
And with LINk enabled and scripting you can automate variation changes In Gig Performer and are in tempo sync with Ableton.
With standard you have to use MIDI messages, but when you create new sessions you have to send new pc messages from Gp to ableton as the range of 128 pc messages is distributed over all scenes in Ableton Live…

S you suggest working the other way around? controlling Ableton from GP? Ableton Suite ugpgrade is a possibility. I’ll have to check that out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes controlling ableton from GP has advantages.
Select a song in Gig Performer and the correct scene is selected.
With OSC messages you can start the selected scene when pressing global play in Gig Performer.
Do you know the YouTube video where that all is shown?

2 Likes

Seems my needs were easily fulfilled :slight_smile:

In live:
afbeelding

In GP:

And the correct rackspace is loaded when I trigger a clip in my session view. In arrangement it will be even easier :slight_smile: What a great program!

3 Likes

Yes, but keep in mind that you cannot send different pc messages in a clip.
So when you need more than 1 variation for a scene in ableton you cannot automate that.