Change variation via external midi file

Hello, I’m trying to switch to a variation by sending a program change signal from an external midi file I’m running from a midi player plugin in the rackspace. Somehow this doesn’t work yet.

I set the variation to a fixed program change number:

Then I created a midi file in MidiEditor with the corresponding program change event on the correct beat:

Next, I added the midi file to the rackspace to play it when the click starts, and routed the output into LoopBe:

In my understanding, GP should now receive the midi back from LoopBe and switch to the respective variation but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Did you check out this?
Link: [blog] How to automate switching rackspace variations and song parts using the MIDI File Player

Thanks, no I hadn’t! Although I don’t quite understand why the midi inject is necessary (as the signals from LoopBe generally come in via the global MIDI input): this solves my issue apparently.

With Inject you do not need virtual MIDI

For some reason the variation will now activate at a PC value -1 to what I have defined. For example to trigger a varation with the permanent PC value of 2 I have to send a 1. Why is that?

This is documented in our user guide

Check your options……you can control whether GP uses zero based (0…127) or one based (1…128) values for program change values.

1 Like

Also check out this article: https://gigperformer.com/program-change-management/

1 Like