Can you help with this dumb routing problem?

I’m using GP as an instrument rack, feeding into a looper called Endlesss. Only problem is, Endlesss will only work with its built-in Push 2 mapping if it’s ran standalone.

So far I’ve got round this by using a ‘virtual cable’ called Loopback to send GP audio to Endlesss. This works great. (‘Output channels’ collects all audio, and this becomes an audio input in Endlesss)

Only trouble is, now I want to add some VST fx AFTER Endlesss for live performance :slight_smile:

My current dumb idea is to use another VST host (maybe the free version ‘Element’) and another Loopback virtual interface. Any better ideas? Thanks!

loopback has many chanels. it should have enough.
check your settings in endless, as shown in your picture.

this should work i guess, maybe try it:
send endless output also to loopback, just:
use different chanels.
you send right now your ALL your audio to loopback, chanel 1+2.

from endless out, chose: output: : loopback, —> then for example out chanel 3+4.
in GP3, you´d have then to chose loopback as your audio interface ( or create a agrregate device/ on mac / ahh wait, loopback is mac only anyway iirc :wink: )

and come to GP3 back in thru “loopback”.
again: thru other chanels than your main input to GP, in case you have other audio coming in.

also: you can also open a second instance of GP3, and send the audio from endless to that second instance of GP3.
( gig performer allows to be loaded up to 4 times, —> in paralell)

For this, when GP3 is open:
go to: “file” ( in the main menu bar )
there chose: “create new instance”
thats the path to go, to open a second (or more) parallel instances.

you don´t need any other software. !
but should all also work out just within using only one GP3 instance.

to note:
i have in “Loopback” three coloums:
Sources / output channles / monitors
you have just two.
the routing and muting inbetween these is here also a key.
since i do send some audio just to “outputs” but then not further to “monitor”.
its a thing for such forth and back routings !

edit: sorry, if my post sounds confusing.
just take it maybe as a hint.
…its definitly doable

It’s worth looking at blackhole instead of loopback.

I have never managed to work satisfactory with blackhole and GP, for example playing with my Gig-File in JamKazam was not possible for me. With loopback I was able to route everything as I imagined it.

1 Like

So, why? Lower latency?

Yes, LoopAudio is great but it adds latency. Blackhole seems to be able to give you a virtual audio driver without adding any extra latency. I route Gig Performer into Logic Pro using Blackhole for when I want to record my performance or when working on a new song - works great.

3 Likes

thanks all! Giving this a go but I’ve got my doubts as I’ve been monitoring GP through Endlesss (this way it’s automatically muted when not in use, and I can use the same MIDI controller for the internal instruments in Endlesss). Lol if only it worked properly as a VST!

From the image you posted, it looks like you’re using a Fireface UCX.

The RME TotalMix FX driver has loopback capabilities in it, so if you can’t get it sorted out using the “Loopback virtual cable” thing you can skip that and do it through TotalMix FX.

Making it work with TotalMix FX requires having an appropriate number of output pairs you’re not otherwise using, which might not be a problem given the amount of IO available on the UCX.

If you’re not using your ADATs, for example, you could output your Ableton Live to ADAT 1&2, GigPerformer to 3&4, and Endless to 5&6. In TotalMix FX you’d go to each of those channels and check the “Loopback” option (down on the output row, click the wrench, “Loopback” is the bottom).

What that does is route each of those outputs into their corresponding inputs. So all of your software would now see Live on ADAT 1&2, GP on 3&4, Endless on 5&6. If you want GP->Endless->GP that’s no problem. But like real life, you can create feedback loops if you do something silly.

I believe the latency of the TotalMix FX loopback is negligible (probably 1 sample) but I’d expect each piece of software in the path (GP->Endless->GP) will still add whatever the round trip latency of your sample rate and buffer size is. I think that will be true whether you do it in TotalMix or one of the virtual audio cables.

3 Likes

Ooh wow, didn’t know about this - thanks for letting me know, @Vindes !

Using GP alone I couldn’t get the signal working with the muting thing I mentioned. Added Element though as final stage and it all works! A bit of latency though as you mention - will definitely try this UCX route :smiley:

I also own an UCX, but I am on Windows where loopback is more complicated, so I always use the RME hardware loopback instead. It works perfectly.

I have just acquired an RME Babyface and have been looking into the features of Totalmix for routing inputs/outputs between GP, my DAW and a hardware device, all under Windows.
It all works perfectly… after carefully following the RME tutorials. :grinning:
RME is a true pleasure.

Totalmix - using loopback

The full monty: TotalMix FX Features

3 Likes