Can Gig Performer do parallel processing?

I am thinking of switching to Gig Performer from MainStage. I run fairly complex parallel processing setups and I’m finding MainStage is just too flaky to deal stably with this. So I’m wondering if Gig Performer is a viable option. My signal chains involves 7 or more aux channels being fed via sends from the guitar input. Each aux has a chain of effects. Some of the auxes feed into each other via sends. Some of the sends are linked to controller pedals.

From the manual, it looks like you can connect an input through parallel racks of fx to the output. This is similar to, but might not be the same as, using sends to aux channels. Can you vary the amount of a signal that is sent to a rack? If so then sending varying amounts of a signal to different racks would effectively create the same thing as using sends to parallel auxes.

Thanks for any help.

Hello and welcome to our community!

GP is not channel strip based and there is no need to create “AUX” channels. You simply connect plugins to one another any way you want.

If you want to parallel process your signal - you would connect cables to your two parallel blocks from one source. If you want them in series - you connect them one after another.

You could use the “Gain and Balance” plugin to control how much of the signal you want to send to the plugin and/or same thing or a mixer plugin to control how much of the processed signal you want to feed back out.

Here is a simple example…

“Keys” plugin produces some kind of stereo signal that’s fed to the Audio Mixer, Reverb and Delay plugins. The Reverb and delay are now connected to the mixer on their separate channel pairs.
You can now use the mixer to control if and how much of each signal you want DRY, REVERB and DELAY.

You could put widgets on the front panel that control this. Here’s an example of that.

There are other ways to do this. You could use Gian and Balance control for each individual path instead of the mixer. You could control the amount of the dry signal coming into the effect as well and finally - you could put the effect plugins in serial with the dry signal and simply bypass them if you don’t need them.

Hope this gets you started.

1 Like

Just one of the the really awesome things about GP! :sunglasses:

@Antiphones I’d say that everything you said should be possible pretty easily with GP. I also use a bigger amount of parallel effect chains which can be switched on/off or mixed individually. One big advantage over the bus / aux approach is that you always see the signal flow visually (instead of having to know what “AUX 6” was :slight_smile: ).

Thanks djogon and jazzundso. This sounds like Gig Performer is going to do everything I need. I really like the flow chart method of wiring things up, it’s a lot easier to see at a glance than the traditional mixing desk method. Thanks again for your help.

1 Like