Cakewalk style instrument definition files

I use Cakewalk but not sure what this means. Where to find more info?

These are ā€œINSā€ files (with the extesion INS).
You can load them in Gig Performer. See the bullet number 7, here: MIDI Outputs

1 Like

I had not spotted this change in the new version. So thanks guys for implementing INS files - it will help a lot with hardware instruments. These are not style instrument definition files as in the title - but just Instrument Definition Files. They allow you to change a sound/patch on an external (hardware) instrument by name and not by having to send specifc PC/MSB/LSB values. The INS file contains a list of sounds for a particular instrument and the mapping to the PC/MSB/LSB is done by selecting its name via the iNS file.

Originally designed for use in SONAR - there are lots of INS files for all sorts of instruments available Just do a google search for ā€˜SONAR Instrument Definition Filesā€™ and sites that have them will come up.

I just googled for ā€œSONAR Instrument Definition Files Roland AX-Edgeā€, but couldnā€™t find much :roll_eyes:

There are lots but they can be tricky to find as they are mainly for use for older equipment - and its possible that one doesnā€™t exist. You could try the Cakewalk web site where it has a link to INS files that are available (but you need to create an account to do so these days).

A lot of the files are user created as the format is fairly simple and they can be easily created with a text editor. Its a bit of work - but the result is worth the effort as INS files really help. Here is a link to the layout:-

https://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_build_a_cakewalk_ins_file.htm

You could also look for Reaper ā€˜reabankā€™ files as these do a similar thing and if one exists are probably easy to convert thi INS files.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for the link.