C4=Middle C

Is there a way to set Middle C to C4 in Gig Performer? It looks like it’s hard coded to C3.

In Mainstage (trying to leave it behind) you can set MIDI devices to the Roland (C4) or Yamaha (C3). If there’s a way to do this in Gig Performer, I haven’t found it yet.

Specifically, what I would like to be able to do it touch the middle C (the one in the middle of the keyboard) of my 88 key controller and have Global MIDI Monitor in Gig Performer tell me it’s C4.

1 Like

Try the global transpose

Hi @TicoRicoRay, welcome to the GP community forum :wink:

It is possible to do exactly what you want using a so called Gig Script which would transpose the incoming “Yamaha MIDI” into the wanted “Roland MIDI”. Would this work for you?

I am thinking of something like that where YamahaKeys stand for your Yamaha keyboard controller alias name defined in Rig Manager. The code to copy and compile in the Gig script editor is as follows:

Var YamahaKeys : MidiInDeviceAlias;

On NoteEvent(m : NoteMessage) from YamahaKeys
  InjectMidiEventViaRigManager(YamahaKeys, m.WithTranspose(12) );
End
2 Likes

Why can’t you simply use the transpose feature of the MIDI In block?

Link: MIDI Inputs

1 Like

Probably because if you want to replace a keyboard controller Yamaha with a Roland in Rig Manager than the transpose would become wrong?

I will give this a try - I’ve been itching to learn more about GPScript - thank you very much!

Thanks for the idea.

I believe I would have to do this on every single MIDI block in every rack - correct?

Even if I did this, it would transpose after the event was received.

For example, I have a MIDI block receiving events from C4- C5. If I touch what I think is C4 on my keyboard, the midi block think’s it’s C3 - so no event is received to be transposed.

(I’m about 1 week into my GP life - so I may not know what I’m talking about)

Be very careful here — regardless of whether it is named C3 or C4 (sigh), it’s still the same note (60) so you don’t want to be transposing it. It is just the NAME that is not being displayed the way OP wants it.

2 Likes

Thank you for the idea.

I tried Global Transpose - it transposes notes after they are received.

I’m going to dig into the docs on my controller and see if i can change it there.

@David-san - you are a genius! That’s exactly what I needed. What a great community we have here!

And to the programmer at GP who added the error message which says:

“Nothing to compile, but the answer is still 42 :)” - you are also genius - thank you for the laugh!

Not exactly, I stupidly did only what you requested. But, take care of this:

1 Like

Here is my current (final?) solution. I hardware transpose my Arturia Keylab +12 (on octave). Then set GP Global Transpose to -12. Gives me everything I need in every program I use.