BUG [Solved] Many plugins don't sync tempo with GP host on M1 Silicon

I’m on a 2021 Macbook Air M1.
I’ve noticed that several plugins won’t pick up the tempo from the Gig Performer host on my M1 Macbook Air running Ventura (also problem present on Monterey).

When you first add one of these plugs to a rackspace, the tempo sync works fine, including picking up tempo changes in realtime. However, when you save the rackspace and reload it, the plugin just uses it’s internal tempo and won’t sync with the host.

Plugins that I found exhibit this issue.
Isotope Break Tweaker
BFD Drummer
UJAM - Virtual Drummer PHAT.

I’ve noticed that UJAM Virtual Drummer HOT works fine. The ‘HOT’ edition of virtual drummer has been updated to support M1 Silicon - whereas Virtual Drummer PHAT has not.

I think the other plugs I have mentioned are using Rosetta - so I suspect the bug lies in the interface to the Rosetta wrapper somewhere.

Virtual Drummer Phat and Breaktweaker have free trial editions, so this should be easily reproducible on M1 silicon using these.

I’d like to report this directly to Gig Performer Devs, assuming posting this in the community forum is the right channel for this.

regards

Tom

FYI - same plugs work fine on my Intel 2017 iMac.

Update, reading up further in the forum I see it’s advices to run Gigperfomer in Rosetta. I can confirm this is a viable workaround for this issue. When I run GP in Rosetta the tempo sync problem is not present. And as a bonus I can use my vst versions instead of the AU versions.

3 Likes

I’d say that is more of a work around than an actual solution :slight_smile: Would be great if the devs could have a look at this. Could be a Gig Performer bug interfacing to AUs on M1 Silicon, or it could be a bug in Apple’s implementation of AUs on M1 silicon. If it was the former, it would be great if it could be fixed, so we don’t have to run GP in rosetta mode and can squeeze out that little bit of extra performance on these M1 beasties.

regards

Tom

What happens with plugin which are certified to run native on M1?

AFAIK They sync tempo without any issue. I believe the ones I’ve found are all AUs using rosetta to run the x86-64 code.

No, it is not a GP bug

1 Like

We won’t!!! :grinning:
If you’re on an M1 then the idea is to run natively with all native plugins. Running mixed under Rosetta is Apple’s hack and is temporary until every company has native plugins.

The only time it would make sense for us to look is if someone was using everything natively and found sync was failing. That’s unlikely to happen.

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense. I had a suspicion that it may be Apples hacky opening up of AU rosetta support. Thanks for the prompt feed back anyway. I’ll just console myself that those M1s tear along like you wouldn’t believe, even running GP in full rosetta mode - spanks the hell out of my 2017 intel imac on performance basis. I guess I’m just greedy for more cowbells, err I mean CPU. I’m not an apple fanboi or anything, but that mac book air doesn’t even get warm running a stack of plugs. I think it must be black magic or something. I can’t even think what those M2s are like - it’s all so overwhelming.

regards

Tom

1 Like