Bring up global rackspace with midi

Hey guys

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have my rackspaces all set up with different wiring layouts (my presets) and my midi controller (meloaudio tone shifter) will select each of them no problem.

On my global rackspace I have a master volume setup so I can adjust volume of the entire rig. All works great but is there anyway I can assign the global rackspace to come up with a midi controller and then map an expression pedal to the volume so on stage I don’t need to use the mouse to bring up global rackspace and then adjust master volume. Can I do all of this with the midi footswitch?

Thanks

If you have a widget in your Global Rackspace which controls the overall volume, you simply can MIDI-learn your pedal to it… that should be no problem. I do the same with a fader controller.
In each of my rackspaces, i have the expression pedal mapped to a widget which controls the output-level of the particular rackspace and then i additionally have a widget in my Global Rackspace which controls the “final” gain, this widget is mapped to a fader of my MIDI controller.
That way i can adjust each rackspace in its loudness, just as we play along with the band, but if i should need to change my overall volume, i can do it with my “global” fader.

1 Like

Thanks but if your playing a song and want to turn up your whole mix you have to manually touch screen or use mouse to open global rackspace then you can use midi pedal to adjust volume

So there is no way in other words during playing or even in between songs to adjust the entire master volume of entire rig with just midi foot switch?

I’m ok with mapping an expression pedal to the overall volume in global rackspace but was hoping the global rackspace itself could be opened with midi? Doesn’t look like it. If that’s the case would be a great feature in the next version just like you can open up rackspaces with midi would be great to be able to launch the global rackspace as well

Ummm… no. It just works with my fader-controller. Where it doesn’t matter if the global rackspace’s panel is visible or not.

Maybe you could switch over to the Global rackspace with GPScript… i’d have to try this first.

But why can’t you keep the global rackspace open if you need it permanently?
That’s also something i use to do with my rackspaces:
The global rackspace is always visible/opened at the bottom of the screen, while the local rackspaces are at the top. You can see it in the first picture of this thread (you can also try the whole gig file):

https://community.gigperformer.com/t/gig-local-keyboards-with-global-mic-audioplayer/6821

OK – let’s just be clear — you are not opening rackspaces via MIDI, you are switching to a rackspace, thereby changing completely what plugins and sounds are currently active.

The global rackspace is always open. If you want it to be always visible you can do that already.
screenshot_5098

If you’re using the keyboard rather than an expression pedal, then if you don’t have the global rackspace open, you can just (quickly) press CMD-G to make it visible.

Alternatively, if it’s just the overall volume you want to change directly on the computer you can always use the Master Trim which is also always visible.
screenshot_5097

On the other hand, if you’re going to use a MIDI message to make the global rackspace visible just so that you can then adjust volume, you have to generate that MIDI message from somewhere. So why not just generate a MIDI message to change the volume directly?

And this Master Trim can be linked to a midi controller via the Options > Global Midi:

He doesn’t want to have to use a controller!
Also, remember that the MasterTrim, when controlled via MIDI, will not go higher than 0dB

I’m confused. I thought the aim was to not have to use the UI.

1 Like

Same here… :thinking:

No, you do not — just assign a MIDI pedal to the appropriate widget in the global rackspace.

So did I - but the OP seemed to asking about opening the global rackspace — so I assumed he wanted direct access to the global rackspace to use with mouse. Maybe I misunderstood — it’s early here!

Ok I didn’t know you could bring up the global rackspace under the local ones by clicking at the bottom to show it I thought I had to click that tiny circle on the upper left side to show this which then hides the local rackspaces as it was shown in a lot of the videos.

Still learning here but the support in this community is fantastic and much appreciated.

Thanks again

5 Likes