Bluecat Connector - MIDI and audio over network

Yeah, I have exactly the same problem — as far as I can tell, there is no way to automate that “Connect” button in Audio MIDI Settings and so there’s no choice other than to open Audio MIDI Settings and do it manually.
There isn’t even an AppleScript dictionary for it.

Bizarrely frustrating.

I’m doing this with Danté & RTPMidi.

1 DAW laptop for midi
3 VSTi machines
1 VST fx machine & mixer
1 ESI Planet 22x Danté interface

Works flawlessly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Has anyone successfully used Blue Cat Connecter in GP4 with 2 Windows PC’s, that could share a pic of your setup on both computers? I have tried it on one PC, and get a signal verification, but can’t seem to get the two PC’s (or one to the other) to communicate. I had my two PC’s connected to an external router, then tried a direct connect between the ethernet with no results. Do I need a cross over cable to do that maybe? I tried unique port numbers, that did nothing. Any idea’s?

There are a few things you need to verify:

1. Does the interfaces come ‘up’? You can easily see this in the advanced adapter screen (formerly part of the control panel). When you use a cable to connect the computers, there is a (big) chance that you need a cross-cable, unless one of the interfaces is ‘auto-mdx’. Auto mdx only works when the speed and duplex setting is configured to ‘auto’ or ‘auto-negotiate’. When none of the interfaces supports auto-mdx, you must use a switch or a cross-cable.

2. Does both computers have an ip address on the interface you use? Especially important when you use only a cable between both computers. Open a cmd box and enter ipconfig or ipconfig /all

3. If one of them hasn’t an ip address, you can set them manually, BUT NOT THE SAME RANGE AS YOUR OTHER CONNECTIONS (sorry for yelling). When you’re wifi has an ip address like 192.168.1.x, mask 255.255.255.0, then you might choose 192.168.2.x, mask 255.255.255.0 (no default gateway!). Both computers must use the same range. Or even better, use a link-local address 169.254.0.1, mask 255.255.255.0 for computer A, 169.254.0.2, mask 255.255.255.0 for computer B.

4. Try to ping the other computer. Assuming you use the link-local address, from computer A ping 169.254.0.2 and from computer B ping 169.254.0.1.

5. If pinging doesn’t work, the Windows Firewall is active. You could add an inbound rule allowing icmp (that’s also ping). After that retry ping

6. Last thing: If the Windows firewall is active, you might have to add an inbound rule for the port blue cat is listening on. Sometimes Windows automatically shows a screen asking you whether a program is allowed to listen on a particular port. Once you’ve answered that question with ‘no’ or ‘cancel’ then a block rule is added to the firewall, so you would have to remove that first and then add an allow rule. Please note that you might have to add 2 rules: one for udp and for tcp, or a rule for Gigperformer.exe. Last method allows a GP to listen on any port. Vst’s run at the cost of their hosting process. Gigperformer.exe in this case, so their listening ports inherit the permissions.

In a cmd box: With netstat -ano you can list the ports.

netstat -ano| find ":8000" (8000 just an example of the port you’re expecting to see) will help you find the thing you’re looking for more easy. The command also returns the process id of the process that ‘owns’ the listener.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Just read your reply Frank. Thanks for taking the time to give some good suggestions. I will check those things now. Good Day sir!

Thanks a million Frank.
I was actually entering the names of my PC’s - NOT - my IP addresses. This program is amazing and opened up things to a new level for me. I still needed to figure out how to configure things a bit, and how to route things in GP4, but I got it to work.

Thanks again. Hope to chat soon.
Glen

One extra note to you is, my original PC is working so much better without AVAST installed. Now I can access my heavier load VSTi’s on the new one without having to reinstall all my software to the new PC.

Maybe this blog can help?
Link: Gig Performer | How to use a single-client ASIO driver with multiple applications on Windows

1 Like

Meant to thank you for chiming in on this Nemanja.