Blue3: Buzz/Fizz Sound on Mod Wheel Stop/Brake Position - Only Some Expression Values

I’m loving my new Blue3 plugin. I’ve run into a minor issue and I don’t know if it’s a bug or just a character of the organ.

I have the Rotary Control set to Mod Wheel. However, there are certain expression values within the range of the center position (i.e. Stop/Brake) which are causing a buzzing/fizzing sound. The high end of the fizz sound changes in value as the wheel is moved up or down within this range. There is no buzzing/fizzing sound when the wheel is within range of the other two positions (Slow/Chorale or Fast/Tremelo). As I move the modulation between the positions I’d like to eliminate the buzzing/fizzing sound.

I don’t know if this is a minor bug in the plugin or just a character of sound for the organ itself. This problem occurs in all versions: VST2, VST3 and standalone application. Has anyone else experienced this sound and is it a bug?

If it’s not a bug I’m thinking I can use Gig Performer to filter out (i.e. block) the expression values for the mod wheel which cause the buzzing/fizzing sound in the Stop/Brake position. Looks like expression values are in the minor range of 81-84 and for progressive higher note values above middle C. The sound gets more pronounced with higher notes.

Perhaps you should ask the Blue3 developer

I’ll followup through the web site.

Could be possibly caused by condition and/or leslie stop position:

On edit page of the plugin turn down all controllers under condition.
Also try switch front stop on/off.

If this does not help please upload a gig with this issue.

The issue is independent of Gig Performer and can be replicated with the standalone version. I set the patch to “Jimmy” and sustain a G note two octaves above middle C. Then put the modulation wheel all the way up. Start bringing down the wheel slowly. Eventually you will start to hear the fizz/buzz noise in the Stop/Brake range.
The wheel can be rocked up and down and the character of the fizz/buzz will change.
Once the mod wheel expression value drops below 80 the fizz/buzz stops. The setting is still Stop/Brake.

I too turned off all the Condition settings. Have not tried turning off front stop. Will update when I try that.

I have Blue3 in the studio. It’s the Front Stop being “on” that causes the fizz/buzz issue. Turning Front Stop off removes the fizz/buzz encountered when moving the modulation wheel. Thank you @Stoffel

The documentation only says Front Stop “Forces the horn and bass rotor to face front when coming to a stop. Another feature that’s not possible with a standard rotary cabinet, but much desired by some players.”

Again, I don’t know if the buzz/fizz is consistent with the character of the organ or if this is a subtle bug.

I’m following up with GG Audio for confirmation. Glad we know the setting that is causing the issue.

The developer of Blue3 did get back to me but he’s out of the country for a while. So there will be a delay before I have another update on this issue.

1 Like

This is a bug but finding the cause is proving to be elusive. I can get around it by turning off Front Stop or by filtering the mod wheel values.