[blog] Tips to troubleshoot your computer based setup

Make sure you give Gig Performer “Microphone” permissions on Mac.

This question is posted from time to time (example).

Relevant blogs:

This “isolated client” feature on some routers is worth mentioning in this thread (link).

There are a few points of view to this:

• When you want your devices to communicate with each other, enabling isolation works against you
  • The security point of view is that enabling this setting helps preventing lateral movement, especially when it comes to malware, for example ransomware.

This means one should carefully weigh these mutual exclusive points of view against each other. It depends highly on the case. Of course a safe network that is of no use for you is also not desirable…

I’m just saying this so that people understand the consequences of enabling or disabling this setting.

Help! What should I do if Gig Performer crashes immediately on start up before loading any gig files or plugins? Every once in awhile we have users who have a Windows OS update installed and GP stops working after the update. Since it crashes on start up before loading any gig files or plugins it can be hard to figure out what is causing this and very frustrating, and it’s often not caused by a plugin. The absolute BEST thing to do is try to run Gig Performer in SAFE MODE (Windows). See the link below to the discussion where one of our intrepid users - LUCASCURTIS - refused to give up, how he did it, and what he found.

-----> Link

2 Likes

“One cannot assume that the latest version of something is always the greatest.” - LINK

I’m definitely in the “if it ain’t broke” camp. - LINK

1 Like

Great tip. (source)

1 Like

On macOS, In System SettingsAccessibilityKeyboard turn off “Full Keyboard Access.”
Otherwise funny things may happen, as described in this thread.

1 Like

I have never cleaned my connectors or experienced any moisture problems (except when I play outside but clean everything before putting the equipment away).
On the other hand, all my cases, bags, or flight cases contain desiccant bags that I change regularly. I buy them in packs of 50.
Prevention is better than cure. :wink:

Good advice! Prevention is definitely a great idea, but that equipment is spending time serious time outside, what happens inside the case won’t matter much. :wink: Many of our gigs are outside, in FL beachside. Probably more severe under these circumstances.

That’s why I said that when I play outside I clean all my connectors afterwards, to avoid humidity and dust accumulation.
And I do it every time I can (not just once in a while) when I go home, to a hotel or whatever: it takes more time but it’s also called prevention. :slightly_smiling_face:
I also remain sceptical about cleaning products that add a so-called protective layer. It invites us to be less concerned about systematically doing the work ourselves.

Good tip:

Link: Tokyo Dawn Labs TDR Limiter 6 GE $9.99 - #24 by Angel

1 Like

Beware of OSC loops :slight_smile:
Link: Problem creating new Song - #11 by David-san

High DPI scaling as mentioned in the preceding post works every time for me. I leave my Surface Pro 8 on the default %setting and just apply DPI scaling. Works brilliantly everytime.

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out. I’ve made the change. We’ll see how it works. :+1:

Thanks for reporting. :beers:

This article is on the blog for a long time.

Troubleshooting Tip: “Enable drift correction”
For macOS users who also use an aggregate audio device → LINK

2 Likes

I discovered this last week while trying to get a clean audio signal back into GP from my iPad. Once I enabled Drift Correction…problem gone!

3 Likes

Q: Moving one slider also move one other slider. They are not in any widget group. How can that be?

A: Both sliders are assigned to the same parameter! :slight_smile: (solution)

3 Likes

A High CPU issue. One of the culprits is a driver.

I had a CPU high usage issue with the latest ASIO on UMC204HD (Behringer) audio interface. As soon as I roll back to the older version the high CPU usage has gone. It seems the latest driver possibly causing an issue with the audio interface. I am using GP4 on Windows 10.

(source)

(another discovery)

2 Likes

mDNSresponder on macOS Ventura → LINK