Blog article on bypassing plugin automatically when volume is off

ps. after bypassing vst, I release the notes.So the vst doesn’t get the note off message.

Can you upload a small gig showing the issue?
I can test with Blue3.

ps: With scripting this can be avoided easily.
But first I want to check if something is wrong with your gig.

Thx.

Yes. I am now not in front of my midi controller. In about 1 hour I’ll be able to record short video of my gig.

Ooops, with gig I meant your gig file you are loading into Gig Performer :wink:

Oh, ok. :sweat_smile:

Important things first: Thank you for your support and moderation! Great Job!!

This is one of the best forums i know with the best / helpful user community i know!!

I fully understand all your points and understand if it is not possible to setup and maintain a standard solution collection.

Nevertheless one last point:
I assume the GP usage is still growing as GP is a fantastic SW solution and will further grow due to the new GP4 release. So many new user with a lot of questions.
Maybe too many (similar) questions to keep the current high standard of the forum in terms of help and responsiveness (expect pianopaul how never sleeps :slightly_smiling_face:). Investing now in a best practice collection may reduce future workload by providing an easier start for new user and reduce the hurdle to start with scripting.

Maybe there are other / better ways with less workload to provide some additional knowledge.

The additional info “solved by … in post # 99” with the solution summary is already very helpful and saves a lot of search and read time. A first step maybe to collect the initial posted question with their solution and add some categorisation.

1 Like

I had the same issues with hanging notes and therefore changed some racks to a solution based on additional MidiIn plugins using "BlockNoteOn"and the drawback on the CPU load due to the missing bypass of CPU hungry plugins.

Here it is.
PIANO STRINGS.gig (147.8 KB)

This is a simpler gig file. I use more vst on live settings, with the same or similar chain of plugin for each vst instruments.

With short sounding vst like rhodes, hanging notes is not noticeable but sustain will stuck in on position. I need to stomp the pedal again to release it.

Quick&Dirty: Try this
PIANO STRINGS.gig (149.6 KB)

Thanks @pianopaul . That’s exactly what I need. Where can I get a real handbook on script, explaining all the syntax?

https://gigperformer.com/docs/GPScript36/

1 Like

thanks a lot

Can this same concept be done based not on a widget value, but if a widget is being moved? I’d like to bypass a plugin while and if a widget is being used. The widget is used for PC (to change presets) and the (keys of 70’s) plugin makes nasty sound while changing presets, so I’d like to bypass it for few seconds while changing presets. So when widget is moving (changing value regardless of specific value) bypass.

That’s probably closer to the GP Preset script, which was waiting until the widget has stopped moving before triggering the change.

I’d suggest a new topic.

Sorry i wasn’t clear. It is not the “scrolling” through the presets or the moving of the widget that’s the problem.
It’s the plugin, switching from one sound to the other. Even if I clicked within the plugin itself, it would do it.

Incidentally, I am already using your script with the delay to switch presets. So this thread’s topic of automatically bypassing when volume off caught my attention, but it’s based on widget value and would need it automatically un-bypassed after couple seconds.

It would even be cooler, if a plugin could be automatically bypassed if no signal is going to it for X amount of time, regardless of this particular issue. Just to save CPU. But then it course the first signal to turn it on would not produce sound.

I think I don’t understand the widgets to use. I tried it, and put a gain/balance widget after the plugin to be bypassed or not. But of course, when the value is lower than the bypass value (when not starting playing something), the plugin is bypassed, and because of that, there will not be any sound after that, so there will not be widget value changes. Or where should I assign the bypass widget (my_widget) to ?

In this script, the my_widget would be a knob/fader mapped to the gain parameter on the gain/balance plugin.

Thanks … I tried it and it works. Maybe if I encounter this problem in the future more often, I’m going to think of a smarter way (without the need of a knob/fader to manually put the level above the bypass level).

For example, like switching it on when a ‘note on’ is received, and switching it off when there is no sound (or with some delay).

Btw, the script can be simiplified, instead of

If newValue <= MidiToParam(my_bypass_threshold) Then
    SetPluginBypassed(my_plugin, true)
Else
    SetPluginBypassed(my_plugin, false)
End

use:

SetPluginBypassed(my_plugin, newValue <= MidiToParam(my_bypass_threshold))
2 Likes