Best way to utilise keyswitches/change articulations?

I’ve been looking at Komplete keyboards and the ways that their light guide can be used to easily change articulations.

I’m interested in how GG users do this.

What work flow do you use or recommend to shortcut activate keyswitches?

1.) Use a Komplete keyboard with light guide?
2.) Map articulations to custom controls in Gig Performer?
3.) Program a tablet with Lemur?
4) Some other workflow?

Thanks… I’m new to this and trying to figure out what method to use.

I would use Variations and a Widget to send a correct Midi note to Konakt.
This way each variation triggers its articulation.
The Lightguide is only working when you use Komplete VST
An Komplete VST in Gig Performer in multiple Rackspaces is not working perfect because it is not designed this way.
It is working perfect in Ableton Live or Logic because you do not have backspaces in this DAW.
This limitation is no fault of Gig Performer.

This is not entirely true. Even with no instance of Komplete Kontrol running, controller mappings for MIDI mode (which include light guide settings) are transferred from the computer to the keyboard (there’s a daemon running in the background which handles this). You can switch through these mappings either on the keyboard itself or by using mouse and computer keyboard in the standalone Komplete Kontrol software. I did use multiple mappings (e.g. for visualizing splits with the light guide) in the past with the following approach: have the first button of each controller mapping send out a unique program change message recalling a song part in GP - so I choose the target Song by stepping through the controller mappings on the keyboard and load up the corresponding sounds in GP by pressing the first button on the keyboard.

Obviously, this has some drawbacks because you can choose the songs only from the keyboard, you need at least to button presses to load up a song and you can have the keyboard be on a different „patch“ than GP.

Unfortunately, the Komplete Kontrol stand-alone GUI and the preset switches on the keyboard itself are currently the only two options for custom controller mappings - it’s not possible to control it over MIDI or OSC. So, for a gig next year where I‘ll need those advanced features more often, I‘ll either have to reverse-engineer the protocol between the GUI and the daemon or come up with a program that simulates mouse/keyboard interaction in the Konplete Kontrol GUI :confused:

Thanks for responses… So am I understanding this terminology and workflow correctly?..as an example…

I have session guitarist vst as a rackspce in Gg…this particular guitar might have seven strumming patterns…so I create seven ‘variations’…each with one of the strumming patterns…I then map the variations to seven buttons on my keyboard .and change that way whilst playing live?

Is that right?

1 Like

Yes, you can do that :+1:t2: But mind that this won’t change the light guide

Thanks Simon…I don’t have a Komplete keyboard. So trying to see if there is an easier way to change articulations and hear how others approach this.

Thanks!

I can easily figure out how light guides can help to display keyboard splits layouts. But how does it help for articulations ?

Hi David-san,
Basically you can see at a glance where different articulations are activated.

If you look at this video (from 3.09) you can see how the lights would correlate with the various articulations…making it very quick to utilise and activate them…

Well at least that is the theory I’ve seen on videos like this…I don’t actually own a Komplete keyboard…but it looks like a very convenient feature…but I was curious whether GP users even worry about this method…or just program their own controllers…

the advantage of the Komplete keyboards look like this is all just coded in to the vst’s…versus having to program it yourself…

OK, I see thanks.