Backup laptop

Does anyone bring a spare laptop for backup?

The laptop I use now is brilliant and has never failed (except once it decided that the perfect time to update itself was the moment we made our grand entrance on stage). But having experienced catastrophic laptop failure in a previous life, I have concerns.

My backup consists of the GP files and plugins on an external hard drive. I would like to know how others approach backup? Do you carry two laptops with the main software already installed?
I feel this would be the simplest way, but also the most expensive (not to mention heavier, and we take the train to most gigs so that matters).

Disable automatic updates!

1 Like

Indeed. I had reached the ‘pause update’ limit apparently.

@npudar Is there not a way to ignore the pause update limit?

Unfortunately, it’s not so easy to completely disable Windows updates.

There are tools such as Wu10Man (still works for me, although abandonware) that can completely disable the Windows Update services and mechanisms (see some alternatives here).

Most people just try to have this services enabled and configure Group Policies. This is per the ‘Ultimate Guide’ → LINK

Windows Update Service - option 2 – Notify for download and auto install.

I use this method which allows you to see available updates and download them only when you want, with no date limit.

Thanks for your input on windows updates, all.
But what about backup?
How do YOU do it?

This is how I backup → Create a full system backup of working configuration

1 Like