Back and forth between live and studio

Now I’ve build a couple of guitar and bass rigs in GP and I’ve got lots of rig in Studio One. I cant find a plugin version from GP in SO, so I’m curious how to create in SO and move these to GP and how to create in GP and move these to SO.
How does this work?

Cheers!

Gig Performer is a standalone Application.

You could use virtual Midi connection to send MIDI to Gig Performer and virtual Audio to send back Audio from Gig Performer to Studio One.

Maybe you get an idea with that blog:
https://gigperformer.com/recording-your-gig-performer-performance-with-a-daw/

The philosophy is that you think of GP as part of your instrument, not part of your recording system.

If you think of a traditional multi-track recording studio as the model, you show up with your instrument, complete with all your effects, the exact sounds you want everywhere. Traditionally, for a guitarist, that might be the guitar, the effects pedals, the amplifier and cabinet. In the GP world, it’s just the guitarist and a laptop/audio interface running Gig Performer.

You play your song and the results are recorded (via microphone or DI, ADAT, etc).

When that’s done, the multitrack recording gets mixed down, the sounds get “slightly” tweaked to fit in the mix, e.g, maybe some EQ, some compression if required but you, not the recorder, own the essence of the sounds that you created.

You can take the identical system on to the stage with you. In that scenario, you feed exactly the same output to FoH where again, it might be slightly (but differently) tweaked to suit the room, fit with other instruments, etc.

Thanks for responding guys! :slight_smile:
One thing, though. GP is for people who’ve already switched from hardware to virtual equipment. If you’re not using virtual equipment, GP isnt going to do you much good. Why are we talking about a comparison between GP vs hardware? Its about using Virtual equipment in a GP vs DAW.

About the article, Windows is giving plenty of problems to deal with as it is, while support for lots software isnt ever going to come up with a solution… I dont feel much for running more programs and creating internal links, giving Windows more options that potentially can be the cause of more problems.

What I’m looking at right now, seems to me like a lot of extra work, saving all my presets to different folders, all over the system, instead of to and from the same folder I dont even have to address, loading them again in the other program, building the same rig a second time, to mention just one thing that comes to mind. Isnt there a more practical way of getting rigs backs and forth, like saving and recalling a snapshot of the settings? I already got those for all rigs I’ve build in the past.

Using GP doesn’t mean that your rig is 100% software. I use it with hardware keyboards (which have no MIDI) for effects, for controlling hardware synth and of course to play plugin instruments.

2 Likes

Not necessarily. There are MANY GP features that people use in a mixed environment of hardware and soft synths and effects.

Some examples:

• You love your Electric Piano hardware sound, but you don’t have a decent hardware Organ sound so you send some or all notes from GP into your hardware synth for EP sound, but rest goes to your soft synth.
  • You love how a certain keyboard feels on a synth, maybe you also like some of its sounds, but you’d like to add some soft synths with the same keyboard and seamlessly integrate things.
  • You prefer how some of the soft synth effects sound so you route your hardware synth audio output back into GP for post processing.
  • You want to easily split your keyboard using GP, and use the external hardware synth for half of your keyboard. The other half plays a soft synth.
  • You want to automatically switch everything to their proper settings in your soft and hard synths as you change your songs and song parts in GP.

There are many of more examples here and I think that many of our users do have some kind of hybrid environment.

1 Like

No it is not — you can connect physical synths to Gig Performer via your MIDI Interface and you get two-way communication using both MIDI In blocks to receive MIDI from those synths and MIDI Out blocks to send MIDI events to them. You can send program changes etc.

It’s also quite feasible to use Gig Performer with JUST outboard instruments, leveraging Gig Performer’s widget control and variations to change parameters on your outboard gear. In this model, GP just serves as your central control hub, taking care of whatever is required to configure your outboard gear for each song.

Not at all.

Here’s a picture from a tour I played using GP. GP was the control center in this setup. The Nord Stage and the Yamaha MoXF were used as both MIDI controller and instrument. In some songs I played the Nord Stage but I routed the signal to the MoXF (including sending program + bank changes, of course) in GP, or vice versa. Some MoXF sounds were layered with virtual instruments. It was a quite complex setup with completely different routings in every songs. I couldn’t have done this without GP. Okay, maybe I could have, but then I would have had to stop the song for 5 minutes before each patch change :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Depending on the plugins you’re using, some have their own preset save and recall system that can work along side the system that your DAW uses. Waves does this for example, SSL, Valhalla, and there are others. This type of preset would be available both in your DAW and GP.

many people here use their laptop + GP3 + some FX plugins + plus a hardware midi controller eventually, as it was a piece of hardware.

use it as it was a hardware FX box for your hardware grooveboxes or modularsynth. its doable ! we do it!

or use it as your digital modelling AMP + FX + speaker simulation for your Bass or Guitar, ----> for realtime play uses. We do it!

…its not wishful thinking, it is reality.
previous boundaries are no longer a given restriction

your laptop is today asmuch a piece of music-hardware as your digital eventide FX box is, if you like,
if you have the plugins, and if your computer and audio interface are suited enough to run with small latencys.
its even nolonger a thing of big pockets with the new M1macs.
We have 2021, things are coming together…

3 Likes

I’m using Valhalla and I don’t see a way to access or change THEIR presets from GP (other than the GP user preset). How do you use their own preset system from GP?

The problem with the GP user presets using Valhalla, is that when changing GP user presets, the param settings change just fine, but the preset name stays the same. This gets confusing after a while.