B3 comparison

Version 2.4.0 is solid and believe me the fast leslie has improved.
And one member in the forum is much excited about the effect when going from fast to slow.

And I am using Blue3 in some songs where no other organ (AcousticSamples B5, Ik Multimediga Hammond, VB3 II) does not come through.
Sometimes I use the UVI leslie, or Melda…depends on the needs.

There is no perfect Organ.

But Blue3 with its inbuilt leslie is a very good choice and CPU is low and the developer is very responding.

I would buy Blue3 everytime again :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks pianopaul for your tip on my DC Offset issue in VB3-II. Exacly this Tube Feedback causes a DC Offset when feeback level is more than 25% (midi value >32). I also got a very quick respose from GSI saying the same thing.

And furthermore when feedback value is very high (e.g. near 127) the DC Offset even raises up to the max audio output level which lets regular audio of any notes played after a short priod of silence sounding highly dimmed like an almost broken cable or like a compressor triggerd already at very low AC levels because of superposition of the DC offset.

So, as the Tube Feeback’s tool tip is already recommending: “be careful with this parameter!”

I use both, VB3-II and Blue3 and sometimes even simultanuously. I’ll also try the update to 2.4.0 to check for the fast Leslie improvements.

1 Like

I share the sentiment of @Stoffel, VB3 is not recommended for live use. With VB3 I had very regular system crashes, and after I replaced VB3 by Blue3 several weeks ago my PC is steady as a rock.

And also for me, GSi support did not respond to questions.

You mean vb3 II ?

Did you update to the last version of blue3?

Indeed VB3-II. And I was using the latest versions of VB3-II / Blue3 / GP4.

@seet macOS or Windows?

I am running windows on an intel based laptop and an AMD based laptop, both have the same issues.

OK, thanks. Could be a Windows only issue. I’m on macOS and the only thing I’ve seen so far on the VB3-II are the graphics bug mentioned above. They are confirmed by the developer.

I have been searching the forum for posts that include the “Adam Monroe Rotary Organ” and I have found this thread.

I bought this Organ-VST and use it with Windows 10 and GigPerformer 4. In my opinion there are a few sounds that sound better than IK Multimedia BX-3, my go to organ.

But the plugin state of Adam Monroe’s Rotary Organ is not stored in the gig file of Gig Performer.

When I turn off my Windows PC, all informations of the Adam Monroe’s Rotary Organ in the GigPerformer File is lost, every time it starts with the the first preset “Jazz”…

I have found no solution. With right click User → PluginPresets I can choose every presets, but only for this “session”.

Because the new version 2.5. includes the following improvements:

Added Reverb Impulse Responses (Spring, Plate, Hall, etc.).
Added Cabinet Impulse Responses.
Added support for MacOS Big Sur and Arm64/M1 processors.
20 New Presets (total of 115).
Sample Loading now occurs in the background (addresses issues with Ableton and Gig Performer)

it is obvious, that they know GigPerfomer.

I ask the same question in the Adam Monroe support, perhaps they could fix the problem in their next update.

Or someone here has an idea?

If they are not handling state, then they’re pretty much broken. Have you explicitly reported this to them?
We are always happy to work wih plugin developers to help sort out such issues

Yes, I have contacted them with nearls the same words as above:

“When I turn off my Windows PC, all informations of the Adam Monroe’s Rotary Organ in the GigPerformer File is lost, every time it starts with the the first preset “Jazz”…”

And the sound is really from the preset jazz?
Maybe only the preset name is wrong but not the sound?

Here is an experiment to try

1. Tweak the sound, doing something obvious
  2. Save the gigfile, do NOT QUIT
  3. Now tweak something else in that plugin
  4. Click on the three dots button and revert the gigfile to last saved.

Does the plugin now have your previous tweak or is it back to initial settings?

@paul: It is not only the name, it is the “jazz” sound too.

@dhj: It has the previews tweak (I have drawn one more drawbar) and not the initial setting.

I’m also using the Arturia B3 V2. I like it. I bought a KeyLab MkII recently and it came with the Analog Lab version. I upgraded to the V collection to get access to all the knobs.

I was working on a cover of Whiter Shade of Pale. Arturia has a preset for the song, but it wasn’t quite right. I tweaked the drawbars a bit and got it pretty much to my liking. (Now if only I could make out the left hand part a bit better. It’s kind of lost in the mix and every tutorial seems different. :slight_smile: )

The only weakness is, well, the weakness of some of the sounds. But I figure that it’s on me to put it through the right amp/pedal/EQ/effect to get that last 5%.

@tripleB - Is there any specific reason that you’re shopping beyond Arturia’s version? Anything that the others bring to the table?

since you ask @JonFair

I have both Arturia’s B3 V2 and IK’s Hammond B3-X. I much prefer the B3-X. It’s a resource hog but it comes through in the quality of the sound. I know it’s pricey as well… I think you get what you pay for though. It’s very nuanced and smooth. Arturia’s isn’t bad… and it’s good for flipping through it’s presets for inspiration but it sounds a bit too transparent for my tastes.

The B3-X does a great job with the leslie (same exact leslie as the T-Racks Leslie integrated within the B3-X) with a lot of fine tune control capabilities over rate and climb, drive, eq, verb (both spring and post-process digital, options for tone wheels by era, very good quality leakage and lots of fine tune control over key click, a compressor and parametric EQ, stomp boxes for drive, wha, eq, etc… it’s a full rig solution in one VST.

It has great presets and get’s the overdriven sound better than any other clonewheel vst I could find. I have the Numa Organ by studiologic and as good of an organ as that is, I don’t use it’s sounds, I use the B3-X exclusively now and simply use the Numa as a controller.

1 Like

OK - so that suggests that the plugin does understand state (because reverting a rackspace causes the older state to be sent to the plugins) but it sounds like when the plugin is first loaded, it is resetting everything to the first preset AFTER we have sent it new state. It shouldn’t be doing that.
That’s

The Arturia B3 is OK. However I was struggling with the Leslie. I already had the chance to play and listen to the Crumar Mojo 61 - which is the HW version of the VB3-II and liked it from the beginning. As others here liked the Blue3 I took a wider look around and opened this thread…

I finally came back to the VB3-II - for me it’s easier to get the B3 sound I have in mind with the VB3-II than with the Arturia B3.

My personal ranking is VB3-II - Blue3 - Arturia B3 from what I tested. Also the Apple Vintage Organ is quite good, however not accessible in GP. I did not test the IK as this was out of my budget range.

HTH - BBB

Every now and then they offer it for a special price
But it seems that the you can use any B3 VST with the IK Leslie and it sounds wonderful.

But as always it is a matter of personal taste.
“A cat likes a mouse - I do not.”

1 Like