Automatic song part name based on variation?

Simply click Open Extensions Folder → Extensions

And place the extension there.

1 Like

Thanks. The write-ups said to put it in the shared folder but putting in my folder seems to have done the trick!

OK, please report if this is what you are looking for. I know that people use this extension successfully on their gigs :slight_smile:

@npudar This looks to work so THANK YOU.

As a thought, perhaps in system actions, having “Variation name 1” “Variation name 2” etc.

Then you could put it in the Global Rackspace (or even the current rackspace)so you can see them.

The extension works fine. I just get a little nervous with some of the disclaimers about crashing the system and would feel better if implemented in the program itself.

But this is VERY helpful!

MM

I do test it very thoroughly and have help from others here the community to test my enhancements to it - so it should never happen :blush:

2 Likes

I wanted to first check you were aware that you can increase the font size of the variation names in the left pane? (Display options).

Otherwise, a script could display the list of the variations in a single label widget. This example will display them on the global rackspace panel.

Variation Names in Label.gig (36.8 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks @rank13 . I appreciate all the efforts and will give this a shot. This should work even better!!!

MM

1 Like

Uhm, absolutely nobody claims that their product is 100% free from bugs. Our own license agreement states this (and if you look at anybody else’s license agreement, they’ll have essentially the same clause)

Without limiting the foregoing, DESKEW makes no warranty that the Software will be error-free.

Companies and individuals have to include such disclaimers otherwise everyone would be opening themselves up to lawsuits.

3 Likes

@dhj I totally get it and meant no disrespect. BECAUSE Gig Performer is damn near bulletproof, I just felt better with anything built in.

and no disrespect to @rank13 either, whose extension seems to be working flawlessly .

Thanks

MM

I don’t think anybody thought there was any disrespect at all.

I simply felt it was worth pointing out that you should not be put off by disclaimers nor expect something to necessarily work better because it’s built in rather than provided as an extension.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I’ve been using this extension live for months now. Generally doing about 3 gigs per week. It’s been solid every time.

4 Likes

@rank13 This file is crashing upon load. Assume it’s a gig file and not a script?

MM

Yes, a gig file that contains a global rackspace script.

Hmmm. Crashes upon load. (No worries though) I appreciate your help!!

Process: GigPerformer4 [7830]
Path: /Applications/GigPerformer4.app/Contents/MacOS/GigPerformer4
Identifier: com.deskew.gigperformer4
Version: 4.5.8 (4.5.8)
Code Type: ARM-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [1]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2022-11-17 17:03:34.3323 -0500
OS Version: macOS 13.0.1 (22A400)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 132FBCFA-8C77-1BBA-C1ED-28D4FA0A516E

Time Awake Since Boot: 370000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 6 GPScriptRT

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000000000133c
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x000000000000133c

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 11 Segmentation fault: 11
Terminating Process: exc handler [7830]

VM Region Info: 0x133c is not in any region. Bytes before following region: 105553518914756
REGION TYPE START - END [ VSIZE] PRT/MAX SHRMOD REGION DETAIL
UNUSED SPACE AT START

I confirm on Windows 11.

Does it crash also when you disable scripting before load?

That is interesting, I confirm that as well.

When I open the Temporary Startup Options and then disable scripting, but recompile manually (Options → Recompile all scripts) it doesn’t crash.

OK and when you save after recompile and then load again while scripting is enabled?

My mistake was attempting to get variation details during the script’s Initialisation section - so before they were actually loaded. Prior post updated with new gig file (also here), and I’ve tested on both Mac and Windows.

Variation Names in Label.gig (36.8 KB)

1 Like

Confirmed. In this updated version, the crash is gone.

Perhaps @dhj can throw a compile error?

2 Likes