Audio interface with Windows 11

Anyone had good or bad experiences with audio interfaces on Win11?..problems with drivers etc…

1 Like

I’m happy with my Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd gen and Behringer UMC1820

My audio interface journey through Windows.

For the SONAR and Studio One v2 DAWs on Win7, I used a PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL. It worked fine. And then Win10 came along and it didn’t. Then PreSonus discontinued support for VSL, and anyway, there were driver problems under Win10. I switched to a Tascam US16x08. It was a good audio interface and had the extra capability to revert to an 8 input mic preamp when there was no USB connection. It also had an in-house developed driver. And then came Win11, the driver got squirrelly and my high hopes for support due to the in-house devs were dashed. I went back to PreSonus and bought an 1810c, which I’m really happy with. It works great on Gig Performer and Studio One Pro v6 under Win11.

The only reason for me to switch is if I ever get in a situation where I absolutely have to have a multi-client ASIO driver. Then I’d buy an RME. While the Babyface Pro would be suitable, I’d buy a Fireface UCX II because of the form factor. I need a box with the controls on the front and not the top because my ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 I/O expansion box has to sit on top of my audio interface.

PreSonus Studio 1810c

Hello Richard, welcome here :slightly_smiling_face:

I think that good or bad experiences are not linked to Windows 11 or any other version or OS but to the audio interfaces used.
However, if it helps, I’ve been using Windows 11 for 3 years now and it seems to me to be a little bit more table-top and optimised than previous versions - once you’ve removed the tons of useless stuff that can lead to bad experiences :wink:

Taking this a little further, I can attest that it’s not just a particular version of Windows that needs to be considered, but also the BIOS of the motherboard.

I have had experiences where the same exact version of Windows (10/11) will behave perfectly with GP and my VSTs on one PC, then on another there were issues. I came to the conclusion (after much experimentation) that I will only use ASUS or ASRock motherboards from now on. MSI and Gigabyte motherboards were problematic, as was my HP laptop, whereas my ASUS laptop proved flawless. There may be other good configurations, but I had no need to continue testing once I found a consistent winner.

These experiments all utilized the same versions of software with the same audio interfaces.

2 Likes