Audio Interface for Windows Laptop

New GP user here. What device is everyone using to connect their Windows 10 laptop to an audio mixer or direct box? Hoping for something better than 1/8" laptop audio out. Thank you in advance!

RME Babyface Pro. If you need more inputs and outputs there are a lot of options that get more expensive from there.

If you don’t want to spend that much there are a lot of cheaper alternatives that have various pros and cons.

There’s some truth to “you get what you pay for” but you can get a lot for relatively little money if you’re willing to accept the known downsides of some of the cheaper interfaces.

What’s your budget?
You might want to go here and peruse the full list of audio interfaces

My budget is more in the $200 range. This will be used for live performance and into a DI box, but not for recording projects.

I‘ve been very satisfied with the Presonus Studio USB lineup: solid driver performance, well built, sounding good, reasonable amount of features for the price. I‘m currently using the 1810 model.

The USB-C versions differ only in the physical connector and case from their traditional USB counterparts. Not worth the extra price IMHO.

I’m suspecting by how you wrote this that you feel an interface doesn’t have to be as good for live performance as it does for recording and host might be true for the DACs but you are going to care a lot more about the need for low latency when you’re performing live than when recording (when latency compensation is available, for example) and one thing that sets manufacturers apart significantly is the quality of their drivers. The cheaper interfaces generally are not as good in that regard.

Thank you for the tip on low latency. Does anyone have a particular favorite for a live performance / low latency USB audio interface that won’t break the bank?

In that price range you have a lot of options (e.g., PreSonus, Focusrite, Behringer, Steinberg…)

It’s been about three years since I’ve shopped around among these “lower end” units and I ended up with a Focusrite. No real complaints or regrets, and I couldn’t find anything significant to push me toward one over another. Most customers seems happy, but you’re always going to find somebody complaining about something. I don’t think there’s a clear “class leader” in that range.

For me the Focusrite decision came down to the unit having two headphone jacks on the front panel with separate volume controls, plus marginally lower price. (In other words, minor stuff having nothing to do with actual ‘performance’.)

Regarding latency, between RME’s “best in class” and Focusrite’s “mediocre” drivers I get 3.9 ms for RME vs. 7.1 ms on Focusrite (64 samples @ 48 kHz). I haven’t seen anything about the others suggesting they can touch the RME number, nor that they’d be any worse than the Focusrite number. I suspect that’s the kind of range you’re dealing with.

Whether you can run your samples that low depends on your computer and what VSTs you want to run. Some are real hogs, some are pretty light. The more effects you add, the sooner you’ll run into crackling and popping. If you’re bumping into crackling and popping, a better interface isn’t likely to be the difference maker for practical live performance.

Also, what instrument are you going to be playing? Latency is far more tolerable on keyboard and guitar than on drums. And if you’re going to add wireless (guitar -> receiver + mix -> wireless IEM) you could be adding a couple more ms for each. (Then again, if you’re standing 20 feet from the speakers that’s going to add more latency than any respectable wireless IEM.)

I guess what I’m saying is there are a lot of variables to consider. If you have a new and fast laptop you’ll probably be fine… unless you’re doing a number of things that drive added latency.

[edit: those latency numbers I mentioned are with a W10 desktop with an i7 running 4.8 GHz. My Surface Pro 4 can’t do the same. I have to bump that to at least 128 samples, and even then it struggles. Bottom line, it doesn’t have the power to run something like Superior Drummer for live play, regardless of interface. But it’s just fine for guitar processing and most keyboard setups, regardless of interface.]

@bpeterson You can find a good interface if it’s just for you in the under $200 category.

Take a look at PreSonus AudioBox 96 - $99 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB96--presonus-audiobox-usb-96
then there’s their iTwo interface for $159 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxiTwo--presonus-audiobox-itwo-usb-audio-interface

TASCAM 2x2 is also a good one for $179 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US2X2--tascam-us-2x2-usb-audio-interface
They also have a slightly cheaper version 1x2

Lots of choices - including the FocusRite of course.

Thank you to all who responded!!

I reviewed many of the options suggested and ended up going with a used Mackie Onyx Producer 2.2 from Guitar Center for $99. This unit received good reviews, has low latency, sufficient connectivity for my needs, and is obviously very inexpensive.

I will be using GP for live performance primarily, with a MIDI keyboard rig, also running Arturia V-Collection VSTi’s on a relatively recent Dell i7 Windows 10 laptop with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD. The Mackie will feed a Radial ProD2 stereo direct box to FOH and also feed my in-ear monitor system (Sennheiser IEM G4).

I am excited to begin my GP journey and am appreciative to this community for their active involvement and interest in its members.

2 Likes