Audio Damage Enso - Live Looper

Exactly, VARIATIONS is the way to go here I think
I need to test if the audio is not cut from Mobius when I switch Variations though…
If that’s possible then we could just Bypass Plug Ins On and Off from Variation to Variation, and even have completely different new widgets on each variation…
I have to explore the setlist options as well within songs/sections of a track.
Have you tried that?

How do you switch Mobius Presets within GP?
That’s KEY… :crossed_fingers:

Audio plays through each variation of a rackspace, so there’s no worry there.
I do use the setlist option of songs to change between variations, I don’t use the song sections, personally.
What do you mean by Mobius Presets?

As you probably know already, Mobius is a very powerful instrument looper.

perhaps the most powerful of all loopers designs out there so far.

However, things can get really complex very quickly when you start customising things ‘under the hood’.

That’s why the implementation of presets is key when using Mobius.

unless… you just use one single preset all the time!

the important thing to understand when working with presets is that Mobius behaves very different depending on how is set in advance - from Mobius’ manual:

‘A preset is a named collection of parameter values.

While you can change parameters individually using MIDI or scripts, you will usually change parameters in bulk by selecting presets.

You may need only one preset, or you may define several different presets for each track with parameters chosen for different looping styles.’

So again, the important thing to understand here is that Mobius functions work really different depending on the chosen settings of your preset configuration.

For example, Empty Loop Actions, Sound Copy, Play Modes, Loop Switching, Loop Recording, Switch Quantize, Switch Location, Switch Duration, Track Synch, etcetc. these are all important functions that will determine the performance of each of the different looper styles you can set within Mobius.

In this way, the management of Presets is key to find useful compositional strategies before playing and recording loops in a Live improvisation.

By setting these looping functions in advance I can have different looping styles loaded on each track.

Personally, I mainly use presets to set different Quantization Preferences and Rounding Functions.

For example, a common trick is to change the sub-cycle settings for looping in different time signatures:

subcycles = 16 for playing in 4/4

subcycles = 10 for playing in 5/4

subcycles = 12 for playing in 3/4 and 6/8

subcycles = 14 for playing in 7/4

subcycles = 9 for playing in 9/4

subcycles = 64th to 128th for playing granular loops!!

So things to consider when working with presets:

Parameters are usually set by using a Preset: a named collection of parameter values.

Each track has always one active preset that may be changed at any time, even while a loop is playing.

Each track can have a different active preset.

Presets may be changed at any time.

Apologies for diverting the focus on the Enso Looper here, which is a great looper plug in on it’s own right.

So If you guys want to keep digging Mobius on a deeper level using GP, I think it makes sense to open another thread…

Cheers

1 Like

Yes please! There’s starting to get some great Mobius details here that are worthy of its own thread. I also recently bought Enso so will post more about Enso in this thread.

1 Like

There isn’t anything you can’t change in Mobius through GP.

1 Like

yes we can! :star_struck:
let’s start another thread…

I’m jumping on this thread lil more than a year later. Is Mobius still the best option for loopers in GP?

There is now a new MSuperLooper by Melda that you could try…

1 Like

I still get frustrated every time I try and use MSuperLooper. But it is getting better.

Conversely, I find using audio loopback with Live and either its built in looper device or even clips much easier and more flexible.

I didn’t want to have to have another software up and running. I want to keep it as simple as possible for live playing. (Although using GP and laptop for my guitar setup is anything but simple already, it sure is amazing! :))

May be a dumb question, but does one need an audio interface with multiple ASIO client support when using multiple GP instances even with using virtual audio ports?

I’m not the best to comment as I’m a Mac user, but I believe so. There’s been a fair bit of discussion recently about ASIO Link Pro for Windows users.

There’s not much more than opening Live and a template set. I like using something independent of GP as you can change rackspaces in GP and record loops or play over loops with sounds from different rackspaces.

In Live you can also use a mix of looping via manual triggers from your midi controller, or have a more scripted/arranged looping by using the parameter automation lanes on a Live track to set where you want to record/play/stop and automate volume changes etc.

I do a lot of live looping and have experimented with numerous software and hardware loopers. I eventually gave up on software loopers, and now use only a Boomerang III looper hardware pedal. No muss no fuss no problems.

1 Like

I see this thread has been going for a while. I use Melda MSuperlooper, Enso, a few Boss Pedals and also an RC-202 Loop Station. The RC-202 is useful because it has midi in/out and can function as a USB interface. Have not quite found a substitute for hardware yet.