ASIO4All needed in GP?

This could be an urban myth I’d like cleared up. My sound card uses its own drivers, but I was told today that GP uses asio drivers too, namely ASIO4All. Is this correct. Should I install ASIO4All in addition to my sound card drivers?

What is your soundcard?
Does it have a multi client asio driver?

I’ve heard the multi client term before. What does it mean? I have a NI Traktor Audio 2 Mk2. Is that multi client?

You have to use a multi client driver when you want more than 1 program to use the same output.
On Mac it is builtin, on Windows you have to use such a driver.

ASIO4ALL is just a generic driver which turns non ASIO devices into ASIO capable ones.
Sometimes it works better than original drivers, but if your original, manufacturer drivers work - do not install ASIO4ALL.

Thank you for the clarification.

ASIO4ALL makes it also possible to aggregate several audio interfaces on Windows. If I remember well macOS X has this functionnality built-in the OS ? I used it to test LoopBeAudio together with my RME audio interface within GP. But unfortunately, with ASIO4ALL I had to multiply the buffer size used with the RME driver by two, which of course increases the latency by a factor two. :confused:

Just to chime in here a bit… there are various “latencies” that need to be considered. The one that we can control is the sample rate/buffer size settings. The ones we cannot control are the audio interface hardware AD/DA converters. If you go to the “latency measurement” window in GP you can see what the device is reporting as input and output latencies.
So doubling your buffer size does not mean that your latency will double. Just that part of the entire system latency will double, but the conversion from digital to analog for the output for example is constant for that interface.
RME is very good at this sort of thing though :slight_smile:

Oh never tested the latency measurement in GP, I will do it :+1:
What I tried to report is: with the same RME hardware, using the ASIO4ALL driver, I had to double the buffer size with regard to the buffer size used in the RME driver. I don’t understand why, given that it is uses the same hardware audio interface. :thinking:

Yes - that is definitely interesting. No idea why you had to double the buffer size.

I though I was clear, but now I’m not sure😊. If I install ASIO4All, will it help my system or not?

It depends – see Reddit - Dive into anything

Note that the need (or not) for ASIO4ALL is not about Gig Performer - it’s more about your particular Windows environment and audio interface that’s in use.

Do you have an external audio interface? I wouldn’d be trying to get any kind of low latency use out of any stock soundcard with ASIO4ALL.

I’ve recently upgraded to an RME Babyface Pro, so just waiting for GP v3 clash to be fixed.

I tested a software loopback solution for recording (« LoopBeAudio » which provides a virtual audio interface when running) together with my RME UCX. To aggregate the two audio interfaces in GP (LoopBeAudio+RME), I used ASIO4ALL which makes it possible. Compared to the RME USB driver, the latency buffer had to be set at twice the one of the RME driver to avoid glitches. With ASIO4ALL the round-trip latency was three time the one of the RME driver, and of course so was the one of the software loopback compared to the RME hardware loopback. When measuring the round-trip latency with GP, using an hardware RME loopback rather than an audio cable makes it even shorter.
Conclusion: use the Babyface Pro with the RME driver and the RME hardware loopback if needed, and you will be a lucky man :wink:

FYI we are testing a fix right now so hang in there.

Cool. Can hardly wait:)