Arturia V Collection 7

I’ve been mainly using Sampletank and Kontakt for my synth sounds where both had a “holding shell” where one could load different presets into and execute the different presets in different variations via different midi channels for example (there are other ways). In the case of Sampletank, you could load 16 sounds, one for each midi channel. How do you guys do this with the Arturia collection? Seems like Analog lab can only hold max of 2 parts (presets) at a time. If you need more than that, do you add multiple plugin blocks of Analog Lab or of the particular synth/plugin that you want to use?

I mostly use the particular plugins and filter out note on messages in the variations.

Gotcha! That makes sense too. Thanks!

I have the Arturia VC6 and only use the analog lab to get acces to parts of the new VSTs as the mellotron, the OBXA and the CZ V.
Besides that, GP is a great host for all these plugins! The only restrictions I see, are at the computer/audio interface part!

What do you mean by that?

And what do you do when you need more than 2 different presets within the same rack since analog lab can only have max 2 parts?

BTW, do you put a midi filter block before each plugin where you can filter out the note on with a switch widget per variation? Or is there a different way of handling this with a single widget?

I usually try to differ between the terms rackspaces and the backpanel… The way I see GP is: you can 1) put as many VST’s into the backpanel (as you want/need) and 2) put widgets/controls in the “rackspace area” to control these VST’s (with hardware in my case).
So how many rackspaces do you need? I believe it depends on the amount of widgets you put in there, right? I think you can put 40 widgets in one rackspace, allthough it gets a bit clouded :smirk:
I usually have two rackspaces per sound-set (I would call it, I guess) one with all VST controls (filter cut-off, ADSR if necessary) and one rack with global volume control for the individual VSTs. Both are tied to my hardware controllers so I can filter sweep and control volume at the same time.
And when I set up for a gig, I put the rackspaces in successive order in setlist view. Easy-peasy :yum:

So for your question: what if you have AL and want more than 2 presets? Put two AL VSTs into the backpanel, connect your midi-in block to AL, connect AL to a mixer, gain (etc.) and to your audio outputs. Done.
The maybe more difficult way is to recreate the AL preset with the individual Arturia VSTs seperately. Should work the same!

Well, I once tried to recreate the Yamaha TX816, check this video in GP.

To do so, I put 8 DX7 VST’s in a panel, connected them all to the mixer, and put widgets in to mute-unmute the different channels. Then selected on all the same preset and see how that turned out. Well, it was huge and it didn’t work, because it started to crack enormously and made the CPU meter going berserk! GP crashed and all…
Then of each DX7 I put only one operator on, untill the original sound was back, but then spread over the 8 DXs. Result: the same sound if I have one DX7, but still with cracks and pops…

I realised it was probably due to the limits of my audio interface/laptop. I figured one DX7 works also. But if you put 4 or 5 of those DX7s at once, the sound does become massive… :yum:

1 Like

I think both “front panel” (or rack panel) and “back panel” are part of a rackspace, and even without controls on the rack panel, you can have a rackspace :wink:

A bit off-topic, but: sure, that’s a more elegant way of putting it :innocent:

For me, it depends on the number of songs, and sometimes even partial songs. My gigfile for my steely Dan tribute band has about 35 rackspaces in it and some of those rackspaces don’t have any widgets in them at all. The ones that do typically have 3 to 4 widgets in them.

1 Like

I would strongly recommend avoiding Analog Lab within GP as it is a major CPU and memory hog.
It’s good for auditioning sounds, but far better to utilise the individual instruments for live use. It is easy to layer them within GP itself.

Rob

3 Likes

I appreciate that insight!

So, that would rule out just purchasing Arturia Lab (and only making the full plunge for the Arturia Collection).

I am not heavily into programming, so, at this point (and considering the large difference in price), I was considering buying Arturia Lab.

Jeff

For what is worth, I’m not experiencing Analog Lab being a CPU or memory hog.

Thanks, so far, so good.

Jeff

1 Like