Arturia patches problems

Can anybody please explain to me what advantages VST3 plugins have over VST2?

My 2 cents: no advantages.
All I’ve ever heard is that VST3 plugins are more likely to reduce CPU if there is no audio passed to the inputs. But I still think it’s dependent on the plugin/vendor. Apart from that I don’t think are any advantages. The rule I follow is: if one plugin type has issues/crashes, then try another. If that doesn’t work, then contact the vendor’s support, and if they won’t fix it - move on to something else.

4 Likes

I use Arturia plug-ins in most of my rackspaces, and I have this problem ALL THE TIME. I open the gig, play, but the Arturia sounds don’t recall properly, so I have to open the plugin and select a different preset, then go back to the one I want. Then it is fine for the remainder of the gig.

I run VST2 on Win10. It happens on several of the V Collection plugins, I assume it could happen on all of them. I don’t have this problem with any other plugins, so it is definitely an issue with compatibility between V Collection and Gig Performer (and Pro Tools, per therealgps). I assume Gig Performer stores all the individual parameters, and some of them do not restore to their correct values.

Can you upload a gig file (reduced to only a few concerned rackspaces) and tell us the exact steps to reproduce the issue?
There are quite some users here who also own the Arturia V Collection…

1 Like

No….GP (like pretty much any host), using the standard VST API, requests the state of the plugin and gets a chunk of data back from the plugin. That data is just stored in the gigfile and when the gig is reopened, that data is just sent back to the plugin.
The plugin then should restore its settings from that data. The host doesn’t try to interpret that chunk of data at all.

1 Like

I’m on macOS and use mainly AU version of the Arturia Collection.

Different thought:

What I experienced, is some kind of “misbehaviour” due to some active MIDI controllers in your rig. Especially the Piano V2 showed this often to me (I’ve also seen this BTW on the Hanon B3 clone also…):

Just put a very restrictive MIDI filter before your plugin and filter nearly everything besides NoteOn/Off, Modulation, Aftertouch, Sustain, PitchBend… and use only widgets if you want to control anything else within your instruments

2 Likes

Thank you, GP community! I suspect Arturia has a bug either in returning the current state of the plug-in, or in restoring it. I do understand the possibility that it could be a MIDI message that alters the state after it loads, though in my experience the sound can be corrupted upon initial load, but then I can run for hours with no subsequent corruption.

Alas, it is an intermittent problem but I will try to understand it better. I reported it to Arturia and they opened a ticket. Their first suggestion is for me to close GP, open the Arturia Software Center, and Clean Prefs for the instrument (save any MIDI mappings first using the MIDI Config menu).

1 Like

Try to set the load type to Delayed for the problematic Arturis Plugin

I started using GP several months ago and frequently have this problem with the Arturia V collection. I opened a ticket with Arturia who gave me several tasks, one of which was deleting the db.db3 file. This actually worked for two weeks, then the problem reared its ugly head again out of nowhere.

I am running a MacBook Pro M2 with OS Ventura 13.3. I have pretty much tried it all, delayed loading, saving presets as Arturia files, saving as GP files, running VST synths as stand alones or through Analog Labs, running AU files instead of VST3.

I can say that the changes are not related to patch edits as I have seen it on unedited factory sounds.

The worst problems I have had are with the CS-80 and Modular V plugins. I have also seen Juno 6 sounds change while just demoing the sounds so I have stayed away from them.

I have decided to replace all of my Arturia sounds with sounds from the Reason Rack. The Arturia plug ins are not robust enough in my configuration to use live. Reason had been rock solid for me so far.

In my last correspondence with Arturia they stated that GP was not a supported DAW.

I will not buy any more Arturia products.

I use Aturia V9 VST3’s for almost all my sounds, the delayed loading seems to solve this problem. I have noticed that changing anything will mark an Arturia patch as changed, so check that there are no mapped widgets, expression pedal or mod wheels creeping through.

On the delayed load, it would be nice if the delayed load state was preserved when a plugin gets updated. This is a manual process on every upgrade on three machines!!!