Anyone using GP for FoH Live Mixing?

Just wondering if anyone out there is using GigPerformer as a FoH mixing tool to add plugins into the signal path?

I know there is an article in the blog but just seeing if anyone else has any more first hand experience of this? And if so what desk, what you’ve found good/bad, etc.

I use a Midas M32 regulatory for FoH mixing but haven’t had a chance to use it with GP yet - certainly planning to though!

2 Likes

Did you see this article about Robert Frazza?

2 Likes

Ah cool, thank you, I hadn’t seen that one.

Was really interested in the more specifics though - what desks have people had luck with? Are folks running a full processing chain or just a couple of inserts? What is latency like? Etc.

To be honest I just need to give it a play myself! (And will report back when I do)

I use gigperformer to host waves real time auto tune. Each vocal channel gets the plugin inserted on my Behringer xr18. I also record with that computer. I have to remember to turn the recorder off so I dom’t lose all the audio files. Too often, at the end of the night I’m too sloppy in shutting down. I have the latency down to 128 samples 44.1khz. The performance of that autotune is transparent in FOH- you can’t really tell. You can tell the latency and tuning in your head against the in-ear monitors. Some of the vocalists really like the delay as it makes the voice sound thicker (just to them since they are hearing both the original voice in their head and the processed voice with their in ear monitor).

how’s been your experience running GP with the x32?
thanks

I still haven’t had a chance to try it with an M/X32 yet actually - just not had an opportunity to try, but will update when I do!

I can’t think of any reason why it wouldn’t work superbly though :upside_down_face:

Robert Frazza uses GP with an X32 with several bands with which he tours, including Tony Levin’s Stickmen.

I also can say that GP works pretty well with the Behringer XR18, so why should it not do with the X32? It’s almost the same… only with some more channels.

I have paired GP with a Soundcraft UI24R, its amazing what you can do these days…

I heard many good things about this Soundcraft UIxxR which seem to be very interesting products too.

1 Like

Nah… it’s only the UI24R which seems to be really cool.
We use the older 16ch version when i go jamming with my friends…
It doesn’t support multichannel output/recording, also the preamps tend to heavy hissing at higher gain values, especially when you have phantom power active. It’s ok for mixing live, but i won’t use it as audio-interface.
So if you think about getting a Soundcraft UI mixer -> take the UI24R!
It has better preamps, supports multichannel recording (even direct to USB-stick!), it has a better WiFi module… but it’s not really cheap (compared to the smaller models or the Behringer XR18).

1 Like

Thank you for this advice, I heard many good thing from the UI24R, but I thought all their UIxxR range share the same architecture. Of course for an audio interface my heart goes to RME but it is not the same price :woozy_face:

Hi everyone! I am using GP3 for Live mixing. I use it mostly for effects management like Reverbs and Delays.

I’ve been using it with several desks like X32/M32, Avid Venue, Yamaha CL5, Digico SD, Midas Pro, Soundcraft…

I use it in a simple way that is routing some Aux sends (outputs from the desk via USB, Dante, MADI, or whatever the built-in or external options each desk has to work as an audio interface) and routing back into the desk through a Stereo Channel from GP3.

I also use the multitrack record function to record each show. Then I usually use a DAW (Pro Tools in my case) to playback all those tracks for virtual soundchecking every day. Would be awesome to have a multitrack playback option built-in GP3 to do this…

I use all gain controls, reverbs, delays, and audiomixer into the same rackspace. Then I create a custom control frontplate which I remote with a midi controller (parameters like input gain of reverbs/delays, decay times, feedback, mute buttons…)

Is there any way of making multiple Rackspaces in GP3 work at the same time? I’d really love to split some processors just for having a more organized view and also to recall presets in a faster way… For example I’d rename each rackspace as the focus group (For example Rackspace 1 = “Voice Verb + Delay”, Rackspace 2 = “Drum Reverbs and Spaces”, Rackspace 3 = “Guitar bus Processing”, etc…).

Then those Rackspaces would work like “folders” really, but would keep everything very well organized and easy to recall or modify without the hassle of having to look at the crazy spaguetti-like view I have inside my current rackspace where I literally have no more space to add any other plugin…

Actually I use different instances of Gig Performer at the same time to achieve this in a certain way.

How are you guys currently using it?

2 Likes

See this article for how a rather famour FoH engineer uses GP

(Disclaimer - Robert is FoH for several bands in which I have played)