Any ideas to clean up User Interface?

I’m looking for ideas to clean up the Performer (front panel) view and Connection view for a setup with lots of plugins.

Performer View:

I can get (3) One-Space Panels on my screen and I visually need 8 sections.

Right now I do (2) One-Space panels, each with 4 sections left to right, with only space dividing them. This works but I really need the 4 sections left to right to be separated more obviously visually.

Some ideas that aren’t currently possible (as far as I know):

Half-Space panel that is half as tall (more like the actual aspect ratio for a single-spaced rack).
Graphic item (something simple as a vertical line) to act as a left to right divider.
Different color sections (left to right)

Connection View

This setup is completely filling my screen to the point of connections being visually unclear on screen. Possible future solutions:

“Nest” a group of items into a macro object similar to Max or Reaktor
Scrollable Connections window
Scaleable connections window

Any ideas that work currently for these problems?

A picture is sometimes worth a thousand words :wink:

Hey Jeff, nice article about you the other day. Everything you are mentioning is already on our list. Not sure when this will all happen but it is high priority for us.

3 Likes

Gig Performer Changes Everything for Jeff Gastineau and for many other users too :wink: :+1:

2 Likes

I had an idea for a quick work around to break up a rack space, visually. You could insert a vertical meter widget, and not map it to anything. Stretch it out to be the height of the rack panel and you can adjust the thickness of the meter to suit your needs. It’s not “bright” but still visually works. A vertical tape label works too, and is brighter, though it will have the tape rough edges.
Attached is an image of how it would look with the vertical meter.
Just a thought.

1 Like

krucible

That works pretty well. Thanks

Photo added to original post.

Thanks @jgastineau, I now better understand how your rackspace panels look like. No better idea than @krucible regarding the vertical lines.

The way you use GP illustrates quite well that there are other ways of using GP than playing a song sequence following a well organized setlist. When it comes to jamming, demoing, interacting, a preset-style plugins organization is probably much better. I feel really concerned by your way of working with plugins, because I have often similar needs.

Thanks again for the screenshot.

I have used the “ABC Text Label” as a separator with and without text, horizontally or vertically. Like this:

3 Likes

Very nice UI setup: the Swiss Army knife of keyboard players ! :+1:
I would love to have a performance display mode in GP which wood look like this cropped view.
May I ask if you use it with a touch screen or with an external controller ?

I am primarily a guitar player, so I control GP with my feet via the Line6 Helix and 2 expression pedals. Because I am programming patches while strapped to a guitar, I like to have as many parameters available in the performance UI and chapter my changes there rather than drilling down into the plugins. It makes it easy to see what’s going on in the sound.

1 Like

And with such a nice UI front view, you don’t make changes directly from there on the (touch) screen ?

Guitarists generally need both hands on the guitar😉

I don’t use this method for regular gigs I use it primarily for rehearsals with one particular band. I have been with the band 2 years and at any rehearsal they may throw in 5+ songs that I’ve never played or planned for, so I need a quick “go to” that I can manipulate quickly as I go on. I also always gig with 2 keyboards, so this method works with a single 8 zone keyboard so I can switch and layer any primary sounds on the fly. I have tried to try to find a perfect sound during a rehearsal and they are usually into the 2nd verse before I get going.

2 Likes

I’m not promising when, but we will have the ability to actually collapse the bottom part of GP window and you will get almost exactly what you envision here…

Stay tuned …

2 Likes

OK, but it is not usual for a guitarist to have a setup with Keyscape and DB-33.:thinking:

I suppose they might be guitar primarily but using GP for some keys sounds - but still with a guitar strapped on.

My rackspaces - as a guitarist using GP for all amp and FX - look pretty similar; by exposing all of the main plugin controls in rack panels it means maximum usage of variations to change tones :upside_down_face: and less digging in plugins to change settings

Maybe for this I should be using “Rehearsal Performer” instead of “Gig Performer”? :wink:

Yes :+1: But the very interesting point is that it appears that GP users have other usage that gigs organized in a sequential way. And GP is versatile enough to address these kind of usages too.

Such as myself. I use GP strictly in the studio. I have over 20 soft synths that I have loaded into individual rackspaces. If I want to practice, noodle out a line or select a VI for a line, I use GP. Much easier and quicker to load and prototype than using Studio One.