Antelope AFX latency?

Hello good folks, I am slowly making progress with GP4 and my Antelope Audio Discrete 4 Synergy Core. I’ve been successfully working with routing and different plugins in GP4 (mostly Plugin Alliance amps and Eventide H9 effects), working on gain staging with my interface, and then dialing in UAD OX as my output (cabs, mics, space, and final FX).

One of the things I was excited about was Antelope’s AFX2DAW plugin which allows their hardware powered FX (think UAD Apollo) to run in a DAW – I have been doing this in Logic successfully for about a year.

Today I tried using AFX2DAW in GP4 but experienced the first perceivable latency issues with any plugin with GP4. I’ve been running all of my GP4 experiments comfortably at 64samples with zero issues and no sense of latency, but with the Antelope AFX2DAW instance I was getting definite latency; essentially unplayable live at 64samples. I dropped down to 16samples and things sounded ok, but that is clearly not the issues – Antelope, I think, is the issue. I tried the AU, VST and VST3 versions of the AFX2DAW plugin.

I’m reaching out to anyone here who either has an Antelope AFX interface (any of the Synergy Core line) or knows about potential issues with AFX2DAW and GP4.

Many thanks!

-Chris

In the Options window under Display, there is a setting to show plugin information when you hover your mouse over the plugin block in Wiring view.

One of the things it tells you is any latency introduced by the plugin itself. Does the Antelope plugin show anything?

I don’t recall this interface being mentioned before, so you might not find anyone here with direct experience using it.

EDIT: I think @foster.jazz has a Zen Tour.

1 Like

Thanks, rank13.

I just hovered to get the info – there’s definitely an issue with the AFX2DAW plugin relative to the others I am using.

This shot shows that the AFX plugin is at 135ms!!

Here you can see the Brainworx plugin behaving perfectly

Here you can see the Eventide being a very compliant citizen as well

Is this just something inherent to the Antelope plugin – or some plugins over others?

Thanks for your help!

-Chris

From what I read, the afxdaw plugin is only meant to introduce a very small latency of a few ms.

It’s surprising if you get a different behaviour in Logic. Have you ever tried any other DAWs to compare? I know Reaper will tell you the latency introduced by a single plugin, so could act as another point of comparison.

For a simple workflow like what you’ve got in your screenshots, would there be any difference not using afxdaw at all and routing straight to specific output ports/channel that has your synergy fx?

1 Like

Ableton Live also shows this info :slight_smile: