Aftertouch ignoring keyboard split?

I have my keyboard split to play chords in the left part and solos in the right part. I have aftertouch set to work in the midi in block for the solo part, and off in the midi in block in the left hand chords part. However, atfter touch still works across the whole keyboard. How can I fix this?

I assume this is channel aftertouch, you do not say what the keyboard is? What i think you are seeing is normal operation, pressure in the left hand is modulating the right hand parts. I don’t believe this is a GP issue as the aftertouch is generated from the whole length of the keyboard.

You can’t. Aftertouch (aka channel pressure) is not tied to note numbers. So it doesn’t matter what key you push, an aftertouch message will be produced.

To have aftertouch work on a note by note basis, you would need a keyboard that supports poly pressure. There are not many of those around.

You cannot prevent aftertouch to be produced anywhere on the keyboard, but you can play lighter with your left hand and block the after touch in the MIDI in block corresponding to the split of your left hand.

Ok, I understand. Many thanks for the clarification.

When a keyboard supports channel aftertouch, the hardware is built in a way that there is a single pressure-sensitive strip “under the keys” (simplified picture) which goes from the lowest to the highest note, and if this is “squeezed”, it will generate an aftertouch signal - no matter where exactly that “squeeze point” is.
When a keyboard supports “polyphonic aftertouch” every single key has its own pressure sensor, so there always will be a value-pair of a note and the corresponding aftertouch value (like it is with velocity).

3 Likes

… but when your VST host supports Scriptlets… :innocent:
→ [Gig] Poly Aftertouch generator

3 Likes