Advance and reverse one rackspace at a time

My new controller keyboard has a traditional diamond shaped button arrangement of five buttons including one in the middle. The buttons all output midi notes (C6, D#6, C#6, D6, and E6). I would like to use the left one in the diamond to go back one rs, and the right one in the diamond to go forward one rack space. This will save me having to try and click on the computer screen. I’m not sure how to convert note info into CC or PC. Could someone help me out here please? Many thanks

Be careful — if they output notes on the same channel, you’re going to end up hearing them or (if you map them), they will stop real notes from playing.

Have you checked the documentation to see if you can convert those buttons to generate CC messages?

1 Like

No, but I will do now that you have mentioned it. Cheers!

I just found an article entitled “How to change programs in Gig performer if you can only send note messages.” Maybe that will work? The article requires a Novation Note Pad which I don’t have. The M Audio manual suggests using the octave + and - buttons. The plus (+) advanced ok, but the minus (-) - did not reverse the rackspace. And the keyboard defaulted back to factory on switch off. Maybe there is another way?

My Arturia keyboard comes with an app where you can change all buttons, pads and knobs in many different ways…and then save those changes to many different user configurations. Does the M Audio not come with anything similar?

No it doesn’t. I just bought the basic Key Station 88 Mk3. It only has minimal controls.

You shouldn’t have to.
My X-Touch Mini controller sends Note messages from its buttons, and I am using the Global MIDI Options to map them to Previous/Next rackspace (with the ‘Momentary’ button on the right selected).
I remember that when I learned the note message, I had to deactivate the MIDI learn button BEFORE I released the controller button, otherwise it learned the Note OFF message, instead of Note ON.

I just bought one. Thanks for the tip Any chance of sending me the rack space to get me started?

For my example above there is no rackspace involved - its just mapping the controller via the main GP Options window (Global MIDI pane).

@schamass has created a panel template for the X-Touch Mini, if you wanted to copy the X-Touch Mini button layout to the GP panel.

2 Likes

I am delighted with the help given. Many thanks. One further question - is it possible with the x mini to map a knob so that I could scroll though 20 or so rack spaces stopping at the desired one?

The option that came to mind was:

• Add the System Actions block to the Global Rackspace
  • Add a knob widget to the Global Rackspace panel and map to the ‘ProgramChange’ parameter of System Actions
  • MIDI learn this knob to your X-Touch knob.
  • By default it will allow you to scroll through 127 rackspaces. You can use the widget scaling feature to set a lower ‘Max’ value, if e.g. you only want to scroll through 20. When I tested this, not adjusting the scaling was fine, as each physical click/indent on the X-Touch knob moved one rackspace, so it was quite easy to move them one at a time.
1 Like

That sounds great my friend. Once again, many thanks.

Hey, the scrolling worked really well. I have two more questions.
1 How do I map every knob to the same function?
2 The scrolling is a bit fast. So adjusting the curve would slow it down?

You want every knob to scroll through rackspaces, so you could randomly choose any knob? This could get tricky as each knob would be set to a different value, and things would get out of sync. You could use the X-Touch software editor and change the knobs to ‘relative’, which means the knob send an increase/decrease message, rather than an absolute CC value. GP’s widget options (MIDI tab) has settings for different types of relative mode. It will likely require a bit of trial and error.

Yes, that’s correct. Lower the max value. The side effect is that you can’t access as many rackspaces.