About to Move Ram Intensive Plug-ins to Global Rackspace

Thank you!

Maybe something is different because I used OSC to connect to the Global Rackspace.

I do not see “To Global Rackspace” as an option in the Local Rackspace Panel (Advanced Section).

I see “From Global Rackspace” and “MIDI Out (OSC)”

For Step 3 did you mean:

3- in the local rackspace, create a similar widget and map it to the plugin “From Global Rackspace” and to the same Globaly Assigned Parameter: (?)

no… the to and from work the same way…

At least that is my understanding. For what I just showed you I used To Global Rackspace.

But you need to add that to the wiring block. That was step 0.5.

Hmm, it looks like you can only have one MIDI IN (OSC) that works, Then you can have multiple connections out to different instruments (in my case Seession Horns and Friedlander Violin).

Maybe I will try a Midi filter…

My solution is only about standard midi in blocks in the global rackspace controlled by local rackspaces. it has nothing to do with OSC. It’s the alternative approach to OSC.

1 Like

Huh? Why would you say that? I have use cases where I have about a dozen MIDI IN (OSC) blocks in a rackspace.

When I try it does not trigger the sound. I guess I am doing something wrong here.

I think I am making progress in using midi filters to block messages of the instrument I do not want to use.

Do you think that a viable way of doing this?

When you try what? What specifically are you doing to send OSC and what OSC addresses are you using for each block?

I was following Nemanja’s blog. It works for one plug in.

But, when I tried to add another MIDI (OSC) in I could not get it to trigger a sound.

I think it renamed “MidiFromLocal” to “MidiFromLocal-1” and maybe that is the issue?

I tried to rename it back to “MidiFromLocal”, but that did not work?

I am guessing I have to change something else to"MidiFromLocal-1" so they are the same?

Jeff

Which blog? Link?

Now the midi filter is not working how I hoped.

I thought I would have two separate midi filters in the Universal Rackspace and use a widgets to bypass them. (So, one would bypass Session Horns and the other would bypass Friedlander Violin.)

But, in the Local Rackspace panel I do not seem to be able to control them separately. (I can from the Global Rackspace).

Thanks for your patience. I’m getting a bit frustrated…

Jeff

You can’t use the same OSC address for two blocks.

If you used MidiFromLocal for one MIDI In block then you need to use a different handle for a second MIDI In block and you need to use a different OSC address in the second MIDI Out block

E,g

For the second MIDI In block handle: MidiFromLocal2

For the second MIDI Out OSC address: /MidiFromLocal2/Midi

Thanks, David.

And I guess I can’t control two different midi filters located in the Global Rackspace from a local rackspace panel?

I am able to control both independently in the Global Rackspace Panel.

But, it seems in the Local Rackspace Panel, you can only control one Midi Filter.(?). So it controls both simultaneously)

Why not?

When I try, it only seems to list one of them in the Panel Editor for the Local Rackspace.

When I set up buttons in the Local Rackspace panel, the buttons I created in the local rackspace panel both control both midi filters together simultaneously.

Should I be able to have two different midi filters in the Global rackspace that I control in the Local Rackspace?

Do you think I am doing something wrong? Any thoughts are always appreciated!

Jeff

Doh, use error. I have to have different parameters. Parameter 1 and parameter 2.

Got it, I am better at law and political philosophy…

Thanks, David.

Jeff

I do not understand what you mean. You will not see plugins in the global rackspace from a local rackspace. You can see widgets in the global rackspace that are associated with parameters of plugins in the global rackspace.

That mechanism is well explained in our documentation for which a link was provided earlier in this topic. Here is that link again

Yes,with regard to the midi filters, I missed that I had to associate a different parameter number for each midi filter. Don’t be too tough on me. This isn’t my specialty.:wink:

Initial Impressions

So, I had about 14 rackspaces with Session Horns (not Pro). I eliminated two rackspaces that should not have been around (I must have started something with them and never used them in a song) and reduced the total number of rackspaces containing Session Horns to 4. (In two cases, I used different articulations, so the Global Rackspace was not an option. As discuss further below, I was having issues with CPU in one of them that where I play several instruments at the same time (Come on Eileen). The CPU issue was okay in a regular rackspace, so I ended up keeping it as it was (5 instruments in the regular rackspace).

I also consolidated 5 instances of (Embertone) Friedlander Violin. (I use an EQ plug-in on this, which seems to increase CPU) into 2: the main one located in the Global Rackspace and another instance in my Come One Eileen (regular) rackspace (for the reasons mentioned above and discussed below).

1. It seems to me, on my system (using OSC) that there is a noticeable CPU hit for moving an instrument into the Global Rackspace. In the case of my Come One Eileen rackspace, I ended up keeping my regular rackspace instead of using Friedlander Violin and Session Horns in the Global rackpsace. I was getting crackling, etc. Keeping my regular rackspace with all 5 instruments works ok

2. Gig Performer start up time was reduced by almost 1/3: The time to start up GP had been approaching 6 minutes (though I did not use a stop watch). After this project, the Gig file now loads in 4 minutes. Nice improvement!

3. On start up GP was previously at 100% ram in the task manager. Now, at start up, it is 82%. After less than a minute, it came down to 75%.

After about 20 minutes of use, it used to come down to 55%.

Yesterday, after about 20 minutes it came down to 45%. But, right now, without using GP while I am writing this post, memory seems to be sitting at 54%. So, that is a bit unclear. (54% is fine, anyway.)

[As I am completing this post, after about 15 minutes or so, the Task Manager now shows memory at 50%.][It eventually came down to 45% and stayed right around there].

So, I feel I have a bit more “breathing room” to create new rackspaces in this laptop. Of course, I should not need to use as much more ram going forward. Most of my acoustic instruments are already in place. I know and understand rackspace variations better now (saving ram by avoiding duplicate rackspaces) and, I expect, my new rackspace instruments will be likely to be more soft soft synths, where I will try to use modeled V Collection instruments (less ram). (But Syntronik 2 is an option too if I have CPU issues).

I hope this information is useful.

Jeff

Of course there will be a hit though the amount will depend on the actual plugins.

Remember that once you put something in the global rackspace it is always active so whatever CPU is used there will be essentially added to whatever is in the currently active local rackspace.