4.5 Program Changes from an External Device? You guys have come through! Now advice please

Waiting for this one. Isthmus included in the new release. It is probably the only thing keeping me from making the switch in liver performance.

Thanks guys!! Can’t wait for the release.

MM

1 Like

Those numbers are just defaults — if you explicitly associate a program change and bank with a song, it will stick.
screenshot_5915

yes but I think…What this doesn’t do is enable you to add setlists for a subset of songs so you’ll always have to use All Songs Setlist. The biggest problem with that I see is if you are using predictive modeling, you could be jumping all over the place which will require longer load times as the program will not be able to accurately predict the next song well.

I REALLY think it would be great to have an option to LOCK PC #'s in the All Songs section so that if you create other setlists they are preserved.

I don’t think the existing version does this and in the original thread, I know you guys were looking at this for an upcoming release.

Thanks as always

MM

1 Like

Yes, if a song in all setlists has an explicitly defined program change number, in the upcoming update, pulling that song into another setlist will include that defined program change

3 Likes

Perfect. I have only one setlist. (All songs) because of this and will pull them in based on what we would be playing that night. This will enable bandhelper to trigger them with PC’s and get the benefit of predictive loading.

Thanks!

1 Like

Version 4.5 has addressed my issue of maintaining PC numbers when creating new set lists. Thank you @dhj and @djogon and all else who listened. One of the MANY great features about your product is that you listen to your users.

To recap, I use bandhelper (a wonderful app) to drive program changes for the band. These are coded into the program and I basically replicated them in bandhelper so that my ALL Songs setlist had the same PCs as banchelper. Problem was that predictive loading would never really work in an alphabetized ALL songs setlist and creating a new setlist in GIG Performer would lose the PCs…until now :slight_smile:

So here’s my question now that this functionality exists. I basically created 1-1 versions of rackspaces to songs with the first variation having the PCs… This meant whether I was in rackspace mode or ALL SONGS setlist mode, Bandhelper would trigger the appropriate patch for the songs s the rackspaces were essentially songs as well. Obviously a lot of duplication in this approach though as many songs use the same rackspace variation or a slight variation which I think could be addressed in Snapshot mode.

Now that this feature exists, what do you guys recommend? Should I deduce all my rackspaces and then reassign PCs in Setlist mode? (I assume I could assign the same rackspace multiple PCs if it is assigned to multiple songs?

Thanks as always.

MM

2 Likes

Take a look at this blog article: Gig Performer | Program Change Management

In the Setlist view you assign program changes to song parts. A song part is linked to a rackspace variation. You can reuse that variation in many song parts (and assign different PC messages to those song parts).

1 Like

Thanks @npudar .

I heard on one of the LIVECASTS that @dhj has a 1-1 ration of rackspaces to songs. Just curious as to why and the advantages and disadvantages of this (This is currently my approach)

Thanks

MM

1 Like

Partially historic, partially laziness. And there is one song I do, a Genesis medley, where I have about 15 different rackspaces.

1. When GP was first developed, there was no concept of a setlist with songs and parts.
  2. I don’t particularly like having to remember to push a button or pedal for a program change in the middle of a song, so I use 4 controllers and layout all the parts I need across all the controllers (splits, layers, etc) so everything is just there.

That said, now that GP Script is part of GP, I have a few places where I’ll switch to another rackspace, or to another variation (or song part) of the same song automatically when I play certain keys.

1 Like

Thanks @DHJ! I think what intrigued me initially was there was a way to automatically convert all rackspaces to songs but now I wonder if I should create the songs and reduce some overhead.

The GP Script part of GP thing sounds exciting but is a little over my head so I’ll need to check into that as well!!

MM

There is a legacy feature that is more like an Easter egg now (undocumented).

I’m not by my computer now, but if you hold Shift down when you click on the Edit menu, you’ll notice a new menu item “Advanced”, and the option to convert rackspaces to songs.

1 Like