3 mini PC options

I could sure use a steer. I’m shopping for a mini PC that will run Gig Performer and a handful of VSTs in a future evolution of my current hardware rig for both home and live use. The mini PC price point, size and performance have me set on that product category. I’ve narrowed the field to 3 choices:

1. An Intel i9 13th gen 13900H chip with 14 cores and 20 threads. 32G of DDR4 Ram (upgradable to 64) and a 2TB SSD. Max processing speed 5.4Ghz.
  2. An Intel i9 12th gen 12900H chip with 14 cores and 20 threads, 32G of DDR4 ram and 1 TB SSD, upgradable to 2TB. Max processing speed 5.0 GHz.
  3. An AMD Ryzen 7940HS chip with 8 cores and 16 threads, 32G of DDR5 RAM (upgradable to 64) and 1 TB SSD (upgradable to 2TB). Max processing speed 5.2 GHz.

TIA for any input or product recos (if not one of these - all 3 are Geekom units, BTW). I really don’t want to do this twice. Links to each below.

Cheers!

GEEKOM Mini IT13: Mini PC with 13th Gen Intel Processor

1 Like

Personally, I would go with the i9 12th gen machine. You won’t get much extra performance with the 13th gen processor, so you can save some money there. I haven’t used newer AMD processors so I can’t say one way or another, but I think for the overall price/performance that 12th gen i9 machine is the best choice.

FWIW I use 12th gen i7 processors in my 2 NUC units, and I have no issues.

1 Like

I actually purchased the 1st option you have listed (GEEKOM Mini IT13 Mini PC 13th Gen Intel® Core™ i9) a month or two back. It also comes with a 2.5 SATA HDD interface that I hooked up another 2TB SSD drive, for a total of 4TB internal storage space.

Still installing and testing VST’s and rackspaces, but no issues so far.

However, I believe the processor is a laptop processor. So there are “some” differences in performance from what a desktop computer processor would give. But doubt it’s something to worry about with music performance production.

1 Like

I’m just thinking about buying this Geekom model too… (13th gen / i9…)
How does it work with Gig Performer, have you encountered any issues?

1 Like

Mini pc s
I have built in to my two keyboards minis forum amd um690s also a amd 5600 built in for my guitar rig
No issues

5 Likes

Interesting stand / enclosure solution. What is it? Bespoke or off the shelf?

I build all my own kit , just a plain cross stand and large monitor for rehearsal.

I use a A frame and the small pc monitor on left of keyboard for live use.

1 Like

I have had no issues with the Geekom.
I see you are thinking of a laptop. Here is a link to one I was considering, that seems to make the process of keeping it up to date, power wise, very appealing… Easy upgrades and options!

1 Like