2nd Instance Dilemmas

I run the latest version of GP on a 2019 MacBook Pro with 64gb Ram and 200 TB of external high speed disks for library storage. For the longest time (I’ve been with GP since its inception) I’ve battled stuck notes regardless of what I did. Just for kicks, I moved my CPU intensive tasks (libraries) to a 2nd instance of GP. Low and behold, NO stuck notes period. I’ve been working this way for a long time and it is 100% rock solid.

Now the issues…

I have approximately 425 backspaces with the songs I perform for shows overseas. Some of the backspaces are not using the 2nd instance. If I switch to one of those songs, the 2nd instance has nothing to sync to and stays on the last song it was in sync with; far removed from the one I’m currently playing. Is there no methodology to park the 2nd instance in a landing zone outside of a rackspace if there isn’t one setup to sync to with the main app yet? Again, it works great syncing with the main GP backspaces.

Second issue… I use an FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller for activating widgets linked to libraries and effects in the GLOBAL RACKSPACE in the main GP app. Works great here. But regardless of which options I set, the second instance with a unique widget only changes rack spaces when I press the buttons. For example if I press F5 on the main app, the B3 Leslie changes speed by design. With the 2nd instance, F5 switches to rackspace 5, ignoring the request. What am I screwing up here???

Thanks for any assistance anyone can render…

Marc Leeds

Can you not just have a placeholder song and have it mapped to an empty rackspace? Otherwise you could get creative with sending an OSC or Midi message to the second instance that mutes it.

It sounds like the controller is sending Program Change (PC) messages, which GP uses to select rackspaces (by default). Have a look in the Options->Global Midi in both instances and see if the first instance has different settings.

Yes, I can create a placeholder song in the 2nd instance with nothing in it, but I thought there might be a way to trigger that functionality. Eventually I’ll have finished all of the rack spaces in the 2nd instance, but I’ve been bitten a few times when a song was requested and the 2nd instance stayed on a different previously played song. I suppose I could mute it, but then when a song comes up where there is a 2nd instance, I would have to trigger the unmute.

Both instances are setup the same way in Options->Global Midi. The 2nd instance reacts as if (PC) messages are sent to it. Has anyone out there used the FCB1010 on a 2nd instance?

Thanks for your quick reply. I appreciate it.

But to confirm: the FCB is sending PC messages? A screenshot of the Global Midi Monitor window would help.

How do you sync the instances?

I sync them by name. That part works perfectly,

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

If creating a song with an empty rackspace for the 2nd instance works, I would do that.

Once you create your first song connected to a blank rack space, I would think you could just duplicate that song and complete this project in 1/2 hour.

I should note, I have not yet tried a 2nd instance. So, I may be missing something.

But, in my setlists I always have a song connected to an empty rackspace between each song. I do this because I am often switching between hardware based songs (not connected to GP) and songs where I use GP.

Good luck!

Jeff

Half an hour, but I still have about 165 rack spaces to go. In between performances, I work on them. It would be nice to have a blank placeholder by default, but brute force works too:)

Thanks

1 Like

Yes, after I wrote that I thought maybe that was a bit optimistic.

I hope it goes smoothly.:slight_smile:

Both are setup exactly identical. Both Global MIDI Monitors show the Program Change the same way at the same time. But, the 2nd Instance of GP doesn’t process it as a Program Change. It changes the rackspace to the Program Change Number. Definitely different than the main GP instance. Go figure?

I haven’t followed this closely but remember that there are options that control how GP should respond to incoming program changes and you may be getting bitten by incorrect settings.

I have gotten into the habit of using non zero bank numbers for my rackspaces to make sure that they only change when they get a complete message with bank select followed by program change

1 Like

Thanks for your response. Wouldn’t the main GP app respond the same way getting the CC from the FCB1010 foot controller? Main app works fine. Both main app and instance sync fine.

I’ve changed every setting every which way, and can’t see how a program change which shows in the Global MIDI monitor correctly works for the main app, but not the OSC controlled 2nd instance. For example I use F3 on the FCB1010 foot controller to start and stop the rhythm off of the Systems Actions Start/Stop in the GLOBAL Rackspace via a pushbutton in the Global Rackspace. It works perfectly in any rackspace in the main app.

The GLOBAL midi monitor shows the program control change is received the same way in both apps. But, on the 2nd instance the rackspace changes to rackspace #3 instead of starting the rhythm. I have more than 425 some backspaces which I am in the process of adding to the 2nd instance with the same name to sync them up.

The processing difference in power is night and day in terms of CPU usage and speed. The extra core makes all the difference. However, now, I’m scared that I’ve setup things incorrectly. If I can’t vector the Program Control Changes correctly in the 2nd instance, I’m in serious trouble.

Sorry for the length of this message…

How look the global MIDI options in both instances ?
Can you post screenshots?

Main GP App is on right, 2nd Instance is on the left.

Thanks for looking…

That’s the global MIDI monitor. @pianopaul wants to see the Global MIDI options. These are in the same dialog (but on another tab) as where you can choose the audio interface. :grinning:

1 Like

Sorry, been a hectic day!

1 Like

GP uses Program Change messages to select rackspaces/songs by default. Looking at your Global Midi Options shows that both instances should be selecting rackspaces.
So the next question is: how did you you get the main instance to perform a different action?

Did you add a script? Or some other steps you went through on the main instance?

Thanks for looking at this. There are no scripts. Just out of the box functionality. I setup the rack spaces according to what I read in the documentation. Since the main app worked as-designed, I thought the additional instance would too.

The FCB1010 is associated with a widget in the GLOBAL rackspace that for example triggers the rhythm start/stop on System Actions plugin. Seems to be pretty straightforward in my opinion. Shouldn’t it work exactly the same way in a 2nd instance? Nothing to trigger a rackspace change.

You say when the widget in the global rackspace is mapped to global play and your comtroller controls the widget then in the 2nd instance the rackspace is changed?