Why does a Mono Mixer channel still use two inputs?

That’s interesting. My CueMix always forces mine to the odd-even pairs. (Mine’s a Traveler.)

In the MIDI mixer world (controllers), I’m used to working in mono. Further, I use a mono PA for gigs. My Hellix stomp box uses a L/mono output. I’m a mono guy.

I simply would to have a mono mixer widget, with mono channels in, mono channels out. Then I wouldn’t have to use widget blocks that are wider than the Suez Canal. And it would be much easier for me to configure rackspaces; CH 1 = vocal, CH 2 = guitar, etc than to keep track of 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, left, right, etc.

Further, the To and From Global Rackspaces seem to all be stereo (Channel 1/2 left, Channel 1/2 right). So I end up having to specify twice as many channels as I need. I end up using just 1,3,5, etc.

There is a Mono Gain Control:

When you need 1 you have 2 (ok you do not need)
When you need 3 you have 4
When you need 5 you have 6

So why do you have double as needed?

1 Like

I’m just saying that for the mixer, it would be nice to specify mono inputs and outputs for a mono (non stereo) mixer.

When I have time, I will redesign my setup using the mono gain controls. Its just a bit more work than using a x-channel mixer, and wouldn’t have the lovely tape labels and pretty faders.

In the Audio Mixer, there is a mono/stereo input switch:

https://gigperformer.com/docs/GP4UserManual/audio-mixers.html

We all know this, that’s not the issue being discussed. Maybe go back to the original post.

OK, I see. The only solution then is to create a bunch of Mono Gain Controls.

How many mono channels do you need?

Four mono channels of audio (analogue input via audio interface), and two mono channels from virtual instruments/plug ins.

So just use a single 16 channel mixer and set the inputs to Mono – that gives you 8 mono inputs — why is that not viable?

1 Like

I have to admit that I still don’t understand the « big issue » here. Is it the naming of the channels strips when in mono mode? Is it the size of the mixer plugin block which should be halfed when using only mono inputs? Really not clear to me even after so much replies… :thinking:

1 Like

You can’t halve it because even a mono signal can be panned right/left so you need two outputs per input.

Is a dedicated mono mixer a possibility? No Pan control, but otherwise all the functionality of the stereo mixer.

Obviously a possibility….but how useful? And how important relevant to other stuff? Every mixer I’ve ever seen that has separate mono channels has a Pan control for each channel to position the incoming mono channel.

I’m the OP. My original issue was it just does not work the same way as the mixer in my Audio Interface (MOTU) or DAW. GP ties input pairs to the mixer even when a channel is mono. In my MOTU 1 can be mono, then 2&3 can be a stereo pair, then 5 mono, etc. GP explained why they did this and it makes sense, it was just confusing initially.

I’m now just using @pianopaul’s suggestion: mono gain control plugin. Simple and easy. And it has a mute!

2 Likes