Which Win Notebook is recommendable

So far , so good with the Lenovo Thinkpad 16:

Processor 12th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-12900HX Processor (E-cores up to 3.60 GHz P-cores up to 5.00 GHz)

Selectable Memory 64 GB DDR5-4800MHz (SODIMM) - (4 x 16 GB)

Caveat. I am not pushing this too hard (using it as a back up for my older Dell XPS (with 32 GB ram). But, it does show less ram and cpu use when using the same rackspaces. Also, for some reason there was one plugin the Lenovo would not allow to be used (did not get through scan. I never figured that out, even with David going to extraordinary lengths to help me. THANKS again!).

I also like that I can expand up to 128 GB of ram if necessary.

I have not tried to set CPU at 5.0, but I think it is an option. I just leave default. (But I have tried to implement the “easier” suggestions on the GP Optimization Guide).

I do not feel I have enough tech skills to put together my own and I do like laptop layout of having a screen attached.

So, throwing this out there…with caveats.

1 Like

@jeffn1 I have a Lenovo P17 that I’m very happy with. Just wondering which plugin you couldn’t load.

Hello,

This is the one I have a problem with: (SIM-BP)- by Quilcom

You can download it from here: http://flowstoners.com/quilcom

It didn’t hurt anything. But, I could not get it through the vst plug in scan. But it works fine on my older laptop (Dell XPS 13).

David was great trying to help, but even he couldn’t figure it out.

It was discussed in this thread:

(Despite the title, it was not a Windows 11 issue. It worked on other people’s computers with Windows 11).

I am curious if if works for in your Lenovo. (Actually, I think the Thinkpad 16P might have replaced the Thinkpad 15 and 17?).

Or even better if you figure out what the problem is. Hah!

Jeff

1 Like

I installed SIM-BP. The User Guide contains ZERO installatioin info. I created a folder called Quilcom containing the 64-bit .DLL file and the Presets folder, and moved that into my VSTPlugins folder. I ran the plugin manager in GP, which successfully scanned the plugin, which I was able to instantiate. It took me a minute to find it because GP listed it under “Rex Basterfield” and not “Quilcom”. His SIM-BP YouTube video was informative.

That GUI is hard to read on my 17" 4K display. It takes up most of the vertical space, but has a tiny font.

I think that you are correct about the P16 replacing the P17. I have a Gen 1. They released a Gen 2 the following year and now replaced that with a 16" display. The P17 replaced the P70, which had over-heating issues. I don’t have those, but the fan noise can get pretty intense sometimes. My power management profile is locked to the one Lenovo shipped it with.

Since that plugin installed and ran on my P17, I can’t help with fixing it on yours.

My P17 specs: i9, 32 GB RAM, 7 TB SSD (1 TB internal, 3 x 2 TB external (1 TB3 and 2 USB3.2)) Windows 11 Pro (latest update), 4K OLED display, ThinkPad TB3 Gen 2 WorkStation Dock

Not sure that I’d recommend the P17 for live gigging. It’s a beast, but it’s a great desktop replacement for studio use.

Okay, thanks for checking.