Spinning ball (Mac) after every change to wiring

Yes, I can write, thank you! Well…the confirmed reproductions are sort of good news, I guess? At least for me - means I’m not crazy hahaha. And it somewhat absolves my old Mac as the culprit, no? Any theories of the crime yet?

I don’t know if you did this on purpose and i also don’t know if this could lead to a heavy CPU load, but you created at least two (infinite) audio loops:
2021-09-16 22_33_09-Window

3 Likes

I did do that on purpose, and you’re right, they would be loops if the volume was turned up/channel unmuted. I was/am basically trying to emulate what I’m used to, which is basically a large mixing board format, where you can send the output of any fx back to the input of any other fx, including itself (and if you are careful with levels, this can create some interesting fx before runaway feedback). Of course, if this is a source of the problem, I’ll just remove those connections - the sending-back-to-itself is not really necessary.

1 Like

You’re also correct that I should have made sure all those channels were muted or faders pulled down before making those connections. Newbie mistake. I’ve done that now, and…problem persists.

1 Like

Yeah… i also tried to bypass the whole FX3 Sends block, with no success on the issue.
Maybe it really is the sheer number of connections that causes the slow-down…

Maybe so. Let’s see what the developers have to say. I knew it was a little wacky when I started building it, and that the spaghetti would get pretty intense, but I couldn’t think of another way to get send-like behavior. If someone has a suggestion for a less connection-intense way to get something resembling sends, please let me know! Meanwhile, I’ll also humbly submit my feature request here: please add sends to the mixer plugins!! :slight_smile: :joy:

Hmm… i guess it’s not the number of connections, nor the number of mixer blocks… must be something else. Because this didn’t slow down my PC:

Test 4 connections.gig (357.2 KB)

2 Likes

wow! impressive! thanks for working on this, I really appreciate it. So maybe…something to do with multiple connections originating/terminating at the same point???

I’ve been experimenting with this, too.
I went the same route and experienced no issues.

Therefore, it must’ve been something with this concept of sends? :thinking:

@joebot
Since here (Europe) is 23:41 I’ll continue tomorrow with experimenting.

1 Like

One more thing to try here… then i will also crawl into my European bed. :slight_smile: :sleeping:

2 Likes

Thanks guys. To be continued tomorrow. I’m in Mexico City, btw. 6 or 7 hours earlier here.

1 Like

Unfortunately this is really the source of the problem. The infinite feedback loops will take a “long” time to calculate :slight_smile: Feedback in the digital world is different from feedback in the analog world and it is to be avoided at all costs.

There are plugins for creating nice feedback effects. Actually Trey got me onto one of those and it is now part of my standard rig. Maybe you should try those.

2 Likes

I created thousands of connections. All good.

4 Likes

Wow - that’s something :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just tested on Mac with the Test 2.gig, deleted a connection => Spinning Ball

Yes - the problem are the infinite loops in the rackspace.

@djogon is right… after disconnecting the second “Valhalla Delay” plugin block, everything ran as normal again.
Krass! :open_mouth: (German expression of incredulous amazement)

3 Likes

I guess, you were dreaming this night of blue cables? :crazy_face:
This is wild! :open_mouth: :metal:

2 Likes

I wanted to test this very hard.

This is a different computer, this CPU is Intel Core i7-9700 3.00GHz and it was really a piece of cake. No problems at all.

And kudos for @schamass ! :beers: He first discovered loops :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I deleted this 2 internal mixer plugins and then the Spinnball was not appearing when I deleted a connection: