Small form factor Windows machine ruminations

Since it’s gonna be a while until I can test my new rig live, just a small update:

I settled for following setup:

• Shuttle Slim XH410G
  • i9 10900
  • 64 GB RAM
  • 1 TB M.2 SSD
  • ESI Maya44 aX PCIe audio card
  • Dell P2418HT 24" touchscreen

I installed Win 10 Pro, used various little helper scripts to scrape out bloatware (Xbox & Co), put GP 4 on it and am in the process of migrating my VST synthies and libraries.

So far everything runs very smoothly, which is to be expected. Latency is below 5 ms, which really is a treat.

I’m still struggling with formulating a concept for mounting the Shuttle to my keynboard stand. Since the enclosure is realtively small and doesn’t weigh much even Velcro would be an option. It also has the option of mounting it via VESA mounting plate that was enclosed in the package. I could DIY a bit and fasten it to a leg of the stand. But there’s still time for that, I let it simmer in my brain 'til it’s done.

I bought this VESA mount to attach my SFF PC to my keyboard stand (made from drum rack hardware)

2 Likes

Bought these for the touch screen:

Yours looks feasible for the computer. Will have a look, thx!

1 Like

Problem is the keyboard stand:
https://www.amazon.de/Konig-Meyer-Omega-Keyboardständer-18820/dp/B07RQD9NP
square section. But I guess it’ll take just a bit of searching.
Would like to clamp the computer to the left leg of the stand (touchscreen will be there, too)

This may work as a baseplate. Still need something I can attach it to, something that doesn’t need holes drilled through the keyboard stand

Well, I have got an omega stand as a stand for my basic setup. Here are a few sketches of the stand and a few mechanical customisations, based on K&M parts and a few custom parts. I didn’t sketch the K&M iPad/touch screen bracket and I also bought a third party computer stand for my control surface which is installed on the bottom left tube. My Nuc PC and my Audio interface are under the piano controller. In my current setup I have also an organ controller above the VPC1.

Hope this will give you some ideas…

6 Likes

Indeed it does! Thanks! That’s food for thought - very cunning planning there