Selecting songs live

Is everyone using hardware controllers to switch between songs? I have a touchscreen windows laptop that works great for adjusting widgets if need be, however scrolling between 40 songs to choose a song via touchscreen I find impossible. Instead of scrolling, it ended up moving songs around. My laptop folds open 360 and was planning on using it more like a tablet. Looks better, takes up smaller real estate on music stand etc. However, I had to open the laptop and use the touch pad to scroll through the songs. (I guess the software touchpad could be an alternate option, but that extra clicking to open and close.) I’m just curious how everyone is handling this? (This was not a situation where the headliner was following a strict setlist.)

I use the Setlist-Feature of my Korg Kronos to switch between songs - one Setlist has up to 128 Slots, that is enough. But we almost always follow a strict setlist. I’ve tried to use OnSong on my Ipad to switch, but in a live situation that was confusing for me.

I am using S88 MKII from Native Instruments and switching between Songs and Somgparts is working perfect.

1 Like

I use a lyrics/chord app on an iPad Pro called ‘OnSong’. OnSong is my master midi controller. I use it to select songs on my Surface Pro using a wireless network. I never touch the Surface during a live gig. I have a large gig file of 450 songs, and the iPad will load a new song randomly selected in 2 to 5 seconds depending on the songs complexity (number of plugins etc.). I also use smaller sets of 20 songs and the loading for those is about 1/2 second. OnSong will also control outside hardware brilliantly, switching my harmonizer in and out, triggering drum fills etc. If you want total automatic hands free control for each song, then this is the way to go (IMO).

1 Like

So is Onsong controlling your surface via OSC? Didn’t realize Onsong was a controller as well. Sounds like a cool setup! How do you setup your wireless network?

I didn’t get an ipad because I already had a powerful, 2-in-1 laptop running GP and when opened fully, it’s basically a large tablet and I just have that in front of me on a music stand. Didn’t realize I’d need another tablet to control the initial “tablet” just to select songs, but it might have to be. Would be nice have a more touchscreen friendly song selection interface on GP itself though.

One benefit to using another device for chords/lyrics that I can see though, is opening up the real estate on GP by not having to have is own lyrics/chords window open (covering the widgets),

Other ways I have experienced with (this on macosx):

“Something” on the floor?
I use an older SoftStep.

Anyway, some device that can send MIDI note, MIDI CC or MIDI Program Change.

1 Like

OnSong doesn’t use OSC but can send MIDI either over USB or wireless; I use it the other way round with GP sending MIDI to OnSong to switch song depending on what is selected in GP but it essentially works the same way.

Another option, which would work well to keep the one device, is to use Open Stage Control. This is an OSC controller that runs in a browser so can run on any device. I’m not an OSC expert, but you should be able to set the addresses correctly so that you can send OSC between GP and Open Stage Control (great bit of software; awful name considering what it abbreviates to!) on a single device. Open Stage Control can easily be set up to be touch friendly so you can have an easy to use interface set up in it. GP can send enough detail, easily, over OSC that you can basically make yourself a custom interface in Open Stage Control and just have that in the foreground on your tablet/PC, with GP working in the background.

1 Like

Sounds like a great idea, but are you suggesting setting different IP addresses on the same device? Is that possible? I’m not a networking expert by any means, but I thought 1 IP address per device (or per network card). In other words I thought IP addresses were for hardware not software. What am I missing?

@SirTommes @pianopaul thanks for your suggestions. I should have mentioned I play guitar - guitar/synth. No keys here. :wink:

When you are looking for the best - here it is:
http://www.rjmmusic.com/mastermind-gt-16/

2 Likes

When using two OSC software on the same computer, you can use the same IP and set the emission and reception port number properly to make them communicate in the right way.

That makes perfect sense now. Thanks!

No, not OSC. OSC is not needed in my case. I use two apps on the Surface that allows the iPad to communicate with it. rtpMIDI is a free app that allows the two to see each other. The second app is a paid one, namely Midi Translator Pro. Together, they allow the iPad to control GP. When performing, I never have to touch the Surface at any time. OnSong on the iPad allows midi commands to be embedded in the titles such as Song Name, Intro, Verse 1, Chorus, Bridge, Outro, etc. I have a Bluetooth page turner on the floor, and as the pedal presses move OnSong through the sections one by one, midi commands are sent instantly to trigger drum fills, change bass patters, mute and change volume levels, turn an outboard vocal harmonizer on and off etc, etc. Re the wireless - I take an Amplifi mesh router with me and both the surface and the iPad lock on to it.

2 Likes

Old thread but for others looking for solutions: is there a reason why you need the mesh router when the surface has hotspot?
I found it much simpler to make the pc/surface the wireless hub and iPad / external as clients…just a thought.

Eventually I just used a remote screen to a mini pc…so simple and works much more reliably…GP as the control hub.

Just sorting best way forward for lyrics

Just recently, I switched to an all Bome system. I bought a Bome Box and integrated it with Bome iOs Network, and Bome Network on my Surface. The Bome Box act as a wireless hub, so no longer needing to take a router with me. All working smoothly.

Yeah, Florian’s stuff is top of the heap.
I have actually ditched the ipad as well…the remote screen is hardwired touchscreen so there is no need for any of it…but being OnSong centric you dont have much choice I guess; as well Im managing teams so music stand does a bit more than OnSong but doesnt have the display refinement of OS.

Sounds like you have it humming! Good work.

Not sure if the indiegogo got the funds for the other platform versions of OnSong? Then I would def dump all onto the 1 box.

How are you managing your foldback levels?

Yes, OnSong remains the prime mover for me, mainly because of the full midi spec it offers. I use it to control GP and my TC VL3X Harmonizer. Fold back for me is still a pair of Bose S1 Pros running on battery. I recently bought an i.e.m. system but I’m a bit wary to try out out in public as yet.

Well its working well for you so thats great
Prob diff for my application…i try and memorise the songs and def read from a single page where poss (as its mostly to refresh my memory)…so im using gig performer as the single point of control but i get where you are coming from.

My interest was re: foldback levels and how you manage others in your fb mix etc with your current setup or are you mainly solo?

Are you automating levels with your live selection of song sections?

Iems (well managed) are the best improvement i have had over the last couple of years but thats another topic; ;-). Great mic, great cable and good in ears are a world of difference…encourage you to pursue them!

Room mic is crucial though (diy 3Dio found is best so far).

Solo all the way.

Just leave the level set but can adjust it with a big analogue knob.

My iems are ambient, whereby some room noise is still heard.

I must. Just a bit wary of losing control of the foh sound.