Rig manager: MIDI devices zones and channels

The rig:

Rackspace wiring:

The script output:

Could you please try to associate Keyb_1 and Keyb_2 to the Local GP Port ?

EDIT: using the Local GP Port for this makes the Script Logger message disappear. But, if you want the Gig Script to work as intended, you need to associate your Keyb_n Device Alias Names to n existing MIDI device. You can create virtual MIDI ports for this using LoopMIDI (on Win) or IAC (on Mac).

https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

I don’t understand these messages - the name of the “not found” device should be displayed after the colon

I can reproduce it. There is no physical device defined in Rig Manager for some Device Alias Names, So both the Gig script and the MIDI in block defined using the Device Alias Names refer indirectly to a MidiIn device which is not defined.

OK I suppose that would work, I have used LoopMIDI before, but I’m not sure if this external setup makes this scripted solution more attractive than using MIDI filtering.

It seems to me that it would be a lot easier to just get two MIDI DIN-USB cables, one for each keyboard, and plug them into a USB hub.

LoopMIDI is not bad, AFAIK it loads automatically with its last configuration. And I would rather not have unused cables in my rack.

Beside the use of LoopMidi, did you have any success with the Gig script or any other suggestion made here?

I will try tonight with LoopMIDI. I have used LoopMIDI so far only with other projects.

Yes that works! Thanks for your help!

Great, what works for you exactly?

2 Likes

I created 2 virtual midi devices Keyb_1 and _2 using LoopMIDI. In the rig manager I linked these to the aliases with the same name. I placed these as midi input blocks in a rackspace. Now MIDI data on channel 1 is received from Keyb_1 and data on channel to from Keyb_2.

1 Like

So the Gig script is working for you and you created two different Rig Manager sessions, one where Keyb_1 and Keyb_2 stand for the real hardware keyboard controller and another one where you replaced the hardware controller by virtual MIDI devices, right?

Yes, exactly.

1 Like