Rig Manager Help

How does one do that - that might be a useful KB article?

Tried to remove all usb devices but caused more problems, had to re install all usb drivers
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

I was in the midst of typing out generalized instructions and a link to the USBDeview utility simusix2 just mentioned above.

That’s what I used last time I think. But every time I do this (which isn’t very often) I end up Googling for it again.

Yes, the purpose of the program is to remove all traces that the device was ever connected. That means eliminating the drivers if the device is not currently connected to the system. Last time I did this I was trying to fix my Roland TD-25, which was showing up as “Roland TD-25 (2)” and all my old projects were telling me “device not found”. So I removed all traces, and it started showing up correctly again.

The downside was that Roland no longer provides download links for the drivers. It’s one of those things where Windows 10 is supposed to find it through Microsoft on the internet. Except it wouldn’t find it and was just installing it as a class compliant midi devices. Which isn’t what I wanted, because that class compliant MIDI driver is crap. I ended up getting Roland tech support to email me the driver.

Bottom line, it’s something I only do when Windows starts giving a device a suffix like (2) and messing up my project files.

As for simusix2’s problem, I’m not sure I understand the real problem. I don’t really use Rig Manager, but this doesn’t seem to me like a Rig Manager kind of situation. If the rack PC and laptop PC are running the same version of Windows and seeing all the same devices through the same USB hub then I would expect GP to pick them up with all the same device names.

I think it would help to see a screenshot of the “Options -> Midi Ports…” windows on both systems.

I use the free tool Device Cleanup Cmd to remove old, unused USB device names without uninstalling the underlying driver. I run it automatically through Windows Task Scheduler at login:

DeviceCleanupCmd.exe -n *

By default it creates a Windows restore point just in case you need to back out the cleanup.

Thanks for help, it gave me some clues
I had to delete all my keyboard usb entries on in both computers and then play around with rig manger till I got one rig and one gig file that worked with both pc s
cheers
Took me 8 hours to work this out